Quote Originally Posted by mfitton View Post
914 wheels are 380mm not 360mm. Also maybe I am missing something here, so wood rim that is 400mm you are going to transfer to a 914 380mm. Oh, I did graduate 6th grade!
Mike I think you are correct that the 914 wheels are 380mm. My early wood 400mm is stashed away, and I wouldn't mess with it. My interest is converting an ebonite 380mm 914 wheel to a wood rim. I spoke with a woodworker friend yesterday and showed him the 380mm wheel and he didn't think it would be too difficult to "sandwich" the steel rim circumference with wood. I need to remove the ebonite and determine exactly what we have to work with. One of my concerns is the spoke transition to the rim...a 90 degree transition would be easier to deal with than a flare (like on my 400mm), but he wasn't concerned.
It would be interesting to see if anyone has pics of a naked wheel skeleton, so I can figure out what tools are best used to remove the ebonite. I would rather not use a grinder for fear of damaging the steel underneath. Does ebonite succumb to heat and soften?