Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VDM steering wheel conversion to wood rim

VDM steering wheel conversion to wood rim

I have lots of steering wheels... original, aftermarket, flat, dished etc. One of my favorite wheels is the "dished" 914 based VDM wheel. I know there are numerous threads detailing the differences between all the serials and thick vs thin vs RS vs RSR etc. This is not about that. There are a lot of "basic 914 VDM wheels out there. Based on my experience...there are three (and I'm sure there are many more exceptions) basic 360mm dished 914 based wheels, nice leather, faux leather (soft plastic) and hard plastic. Has anybody taken the lowest (hard plastic)of the dished 914 wheels and attempted to replace the plastic rim with a wood rim? I have a very nice original early wood rim VDM 400mm wheel that is beautiful, but it is too wide for my tastes. Seems like it would be the best of both worlds to have a wood rimmed-dished 360mm wheel, with of course a nice hockey puck. Has anyone tried this? I presume that underneath the hard plastic is a steel rim? Do we know if it is a flat or round piece of steel? Like to learn from others mistakes so I can make my own original mistakes. If this is possible, I have a nice volunteer.
    Cheers!
    registry# 1283

You're not alone in your thinking... after seeing Rich Spritz's prototype wood wheel I started thinking about having a smaller 914 wheel done in wood with a thicker rim. Choices: who to perform the transformation?

See post #17 of this thread: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...shing-question
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Years ago I had an extended wheel VDM on my 912. Picked up a gorgeous refinished wood VDM of the same diameter. Contacted Mr. Crawford and asked if could transfer the extended portion of the ebonite wheel to the wood wheel. He could and kindly obliged and at the same time I asked him to make a custom dash panel for me. We agreed on a price and he performed the work spectacularly. When I started to make payment he asked if I would give him the ebonite VDM as partial payment. I of course happily agreed. At the time I believe he going to create a wood wheel on the ebonite frame. He would be my go to guy if you want something really nice

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  89.8 KB

Mr. Crawford though he may have been the one to have restored the wood wheel originally, but could not confirm. I bought it from a guy in NY who bought it from Sierra Madre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    You're not alone in your thinking... after seeing Rich Spritz's prototype wood wheel I started thinking about having a smaller 914 wheel done in wood with a thicker rim. Choices: who to perform the transformation?

See post #17 of this thread: https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...shing-question
    That wheel looks great. The "spokes" don't flare into the rim, but go directly (90 degree angle) which might make the transformation easier. Does anybody have any experience with removing the plastic/ebonite material to see what is underneath? Is it flat or a round rim?
    registry# 1283

That wheel in my picture is the VDM one I purchased. Not the one I gave him. The dash is his work. Just wanted to illustrate the quality of his work. Don't know what happened to the ebonite wheel I gave him in trade. Sure he would tell you if you contacted him. Hope I have not caused confusion.

Thom, I think he's referring to Rich's prototype wheel which has no spoke flare into the rim. Without doubt, Mr. Crawford's work is impeccable and would be the go to guy for this type of project.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

An Emily Latilla response "Never mind"

Wood VDM ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    Thom, I think he's referring to Rich's prototype wheel which has no spoke flare into the rim. Without doubt, Mr. Crawford's work is impeccable and would be the go to guy for this type of project.
    Mr. Crawford's work looks amazing, however I will attempt the transformation.
    Last edited by speedo; 07-08-2020 at 05:05 AM. Reason: clarification
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    That wheel looks great. The "spokes" don't flare into the rim, but go directly (90 degree angle) which might make the transformation easier. Does anybody have any experience with removing the plastic/ebonite material to see what is underneath? Is it flat or a round rim?
    The leather wrapped 914 wheels have a soft rubber core on top of a TUBULER steel rim. Not a flat rim. I suspect the ebonite wheels have the same steel construction. I would start with a clapped out leather wheel as that soft rubber core has to be easier to remove though the tubular rim would be difficult to apply a wood rim construction.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

914 wheels are 380mm not 360mm. Also maybe I am missing something here, so wood rim that is 400mm you are going to transfer to a 914 380mm. Oh, I did graduate 6th grade!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!