Thread: SWB euro lens paint

SWB euro lens paint

As there are no half decent rear lights and turnsignal lenses available for SWBs, have somebody succesfully re-painted inside of the faded lenses to get the colour back (euro lenses were painted inside, not coloured plastic like US rear ones)? Some ideas what kind of transparent paint Bosch used back in the days?

I need to use red one, and paint needs to have very good clarity so just to offer red color but not foggy at all. My experience with rattle can taillighr sprays are not good ( plus they are normally used outside of the lenses) so I'm thinkin candy "paint" (or transparent glass paint) could work. But they can't be removed if not working well so any advice would be more than welcome
    (I'm used to painting so can use candy paints as well)
    - Ville -

1967 911 Slate Grey/red, fully restored + 66' "r-ish" hotrod project

Hi,
    I have sent you a PM.

Gitesh

If you guys have "perfected" some kind of painting technique for this ever present problem, please share?!
    I'm reasonably sure there are a lot of others that would appreciate the knowledge.
    Peter
    "Fahr drauf, bremsen ist feige!"

I tried to do this recently but was not able to come up with a decent color match using of the shelf translucent paint. I am sure with careful matching of color good results good be achieved. Challenge is removing the old color, typical Paint remover will attack the plastic

This is purely credit to Gitesh, he have also great resto thread in DDK (UK forum) where he have shared this. I did mine already and I was more than happy with the result I acchieved.
    So you need air brush or small spray gun (and need to know how to use them ) and you paint inside of the lenses. I have tried e.g. Revell modelling paints and they were really really bad, but Gitesh have used Tamiya paints and result was completely different. Transparent colors X-26 and x-27 from Tamiya are spot on what comes to color and clarity, and I used Tamiya solvent as well to thin the paint for spraying. As said, those Tamiya paints are the trick IMO and and I was extremely happy with the result. You can clearcoat them as well if wanted. MUCH better than any red or orange taill light tint from any manufacturer, I would stay clear of them.
    Mind you, this is correct for euro SWB lenses, US rear ones were made from red plastic.
    - Ville -

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    I tried to do this recently but was not able to come up with a decent color match using of the shelf translucent paint. I am sure with careful matching of color good results good be achieved. Challenge is removing the old color, typical Paint remover will attack the plastic
    Shade is spot on in the Tamiya paints, you just need to find how many layers to spray to match the "colorness". And Gitesh shared on the same thread that Buytl Cellosolve is used by modellers and it worked well for him. (I used just regular thinner with very careful hand, but you need to be quick and careful. I couldn't find 2-Butoxyethanol from Finland quickly) Do not use paint removers!
    And again, credit goes to Gitesh for all what I have said.
    - Ville -

Hi Ville,
    I'm glad your lenses worked out well.
    I have a restoration thread on DDK but didn't know about the etiquette of posting another forum thread on here. I'm adding the link here but if the forum administrators don't wish to have it, please let me know and I will remove it (or you can remove it directly yourself) and I will write up the details directly on here.

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/vi...8877&start=150

Thanks
    Gitesh

Acetone will remove the old paint without harming the plastic. Its time consuming but they will look splotchy if you dont. I use (lots of) q-tips to get into the convolutions. I use those those stained glass type paints.
    Last edited by 66S; 07-14-2020 at 04:42 PM.