Thread: Advice on AC for 1973 911E Targa

Question Advice on AC for 1973 911E Targa

I am in the process of restoring a 1973 911E Targa I have owned since new. It came with AC (York compressor). The compressor was removed when the engine was rebuilt. I just read the posts on this forum about AC but most are quite old. What current options should I consider for AC? Have been looking at Griffiths and would appreciate comments from anyone with experience with their upgrade kits or alternatives.

Thanks,
    Jim

Hi Jim,
    Take a look at the electric air conditioning by Classic Retrofit here in the UK. If I was to install A/C I would go with this.
    Kind regards
    Gitesh

Jim, I'm gathering parts to replace and enhance the factory A/C on my '72T now. I've done this before successfully on my previous '84 Carrera.

A few questions will help with guidance. Was your A/C a factory installed system, or dealer? Single rear condenser, or with the second condenser behind the front bumper? And are you trying to maintain a vintage stock appearance, or are you willing to use different looking parts to improve the performance?
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

https://www.classicretrofit.com/coll...r-conditioning

Jonny’s a good guy and makes great products. I can say the same about griffiths. I’ve got griff’s gear in my 72 and a full-ice system in my black ‘83 with 4 condensers. It runs so cool that in the humid northeast in a full heat wave, I’ve still got to dial it down.

Check out the pelican forum, some guys are trying to put together a ground buy for the classic retrofit kit.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Hi Arne,

Thanks for the reply. Car came with AC when new. I read that AC was still regularly installed by dealer rather than factory. It also has a condenser in front left fender. I value function over vintage appearance. Still, the only change I have made is to have Stoddard install a 110 liter tank shortly after I purchased the car in 73.

Jim

If you keep everything else and convert to a rotary compressor, the system will be more efficient. If you want to update from R12, you will need new hoses, though.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

If you have a condenser in the front left fender then they must have eliminated the vapor collector bottle.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Left front fender condenser is a new one on me, I've never run into one of those yet. But that location pretty much confirms that yours is dealer-installed, not factory. The second condenser in a factory system is under the front trunk floor, just forward of the fuel tank.

Bill's comment above about the compressor is a start. You have two goals, make it reliable, and increase the efficiency if possible. A rotary compressor (Sanden or similar) is a bit more efficient, and smoother, quieter and requires less horsepower to run. So if you are OK with the different look, that is definitely something to look at.

I would probably plan to replace the hoses even if you plan to stay with R12. Your 47 year-old hoses probably don't retain even the larger R12 molecules all that well by now, and leak out the modern R134a badly.

Normally, if converting to R134a I'd recommend modern high-efficiency evaporator and condenser(s). But while finding replacements that fit is easy for me with my factory A/C, it may be harder for you as the dealer could have installed one of a number of brands of kit, and so finding upgraded replacement parts that fit will take some work.

If I had your system, I think I'd contact Charlie at Griffiths and talk with him on the phone. He really is good, and knows his stuff. He may be able to provide parts to simply drop-in as replacements for what you have. If not, I'm sure he can help you come up with a functional system that works.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Left front fender condenser was done on SWB cars that didn't have anything in the left front fender,,,like a vapor collector.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Learn something new all the time. I've never seen an SWB with A/C. Good to know.
    - Arne