Thread: Difference between 915’s

Member#2944

Difference between 915’s

Had some major work done on my’74 911 and was surprised when
    the shop informed me that the transmission was from a ‘72.
    Are there any differences between the two years?
    Thanks,
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 911+1 View Post
    Are there any differences between the two years?
    Tony, in most respects they were the same.
    The gear ratios were different, and the 72 input shaft oil seal could only be replaced from the inside.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Member#2944
    Thank you Jon. The input shaft oil seal is what tipped the shop off to the year. Guess it’s a one year thing.
    Tony
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

Thank you Jon. The input shaft oil seal is what tipped the shop off to the year. Guess it’s a one year thing.
    Tony, from mid-73 through 75 the oil seals could be replaced from the outside with special tools.
    From 76-on the guide tubes containing the oil seals were removable.
    Many times the 73.5-74-75 transmissions are mistakenly identified as having oil seals that cannot be replaced from the outside, due to their non-removable tubes.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Member#2944
    I’d imagine the serial number would help?
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

I’d imagine the serial number would help?
    Yes, or the transmission type, if they're still visible and not heavily scraped. A photo would be good, if you cannot read them clearly.
    The numbers were stamped into the lowest point of the transmission, just to the rear of the drain plug.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    The numbers were stamped into the lowest point of the transmission, just to the rear of the drain plug.
    Typically scraped or ground down to oblivion, by now. Great thinking to stamp those numbers in the very lowest clearance part of the car. Mine is totally destroyed, as were the numbers on my friend's '73.5.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Member#2944
    got the car in the air and it is a '74 according to the serial numbers. 7340982
    thanks for the assist.
    tony
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

...the shop informed me that the transmission was from a '72.
    The input shaft oil seal is what tipped the shop off to the year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon B View Post
    Many times the 73.5-74-75 transmissions are mistakenly identified as having oil seals that cannot be replaced from the outside, due to their non-removable tubes.
    got the car in the air and it is a '74 according to the serial numbers. 7340982...
    Yes, I thought they might be wrong.

The shop saw the non-removable guide tube and mistakenly assumed it was a 72 transmission.
    The guide tubes were only removable from 76-on.

The seal in your 74 transmission can be replaced from the outside, using special tools.

Name:  DSCN8657.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  179.5 KB

Jon B.
    Vista, CA