Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fresh

15 62.50%
  • Faded

9 37.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fresh or Faded

Great comments so far. I’m usually a ‘patina’ guy too, but the car is freshly painted with lots of new bits chased through it out of necessity. If it was original paint I wouldn’t even consider changing the badging, but this is not the case. It took me two months to come to grips with the fact that I needed to replace the carpet! I’m trying to find the balance between a much needed refreshing and the ‘only original once’ mantra I am constantly hearing played in my mind. And don’t worry. I have a beautiful 1973 issue blue plate that will be mounted as soon as I hear back from the DMV
    Last edited by METAVINYL; 07-20-2020 at 09:29 PM.

Depends on if you’d like it to look “original” or restored. I love my faded grill.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

That’s the problem. Original like 1973, or the hard won life at 2020? Original lettering is black. 47 year old lettering is grey. If only the letters purpled like the grill does. Then this would be easy. Porsche likely sourced these parts from different suppliers based on cost and availability and now we are left with these decisions.

Was an easier decision for me. My originals did not age gracefully. The grill looked like it had been sandblasted (probably was, by windstorms in the New Mexico hills), the emblems were faded, but very unevenly and mottled. I thought about new, but refinished the originals instead. The emblems got about 10 thin coats of Duplicolor Smoke Anodizing paint, which gave them a slightly soft, but very dark gray-black finish. I tried the same on the grill, but it was too glossy there, so it got SEM satin trim paint.

Name:  IMG_1705.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  95.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2125.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  81.4 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I have a recently restored silver 73 911. My grill is original anodised finish with a faded purple hue. I bought Porsche letters on here which match well, again original anodised finish. The 911E badge is NOS so a little darker but I'm happy with it. I prefer the contrast of dark badges on silver rather than ones that are too faded.

Name:  back.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  81.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    Yes, I agree with Michael....get a faded grill!....
    HAHAHAHA

That's one way to look at it!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Restored the grill and letters and got a NOS 2.4 badge. Restoration done with multiple coats of the Duplicolor Smoke Anodized paint after pressure washing everything. You can see on the left side where the grill catches the light that it really does look anodized like original.

Name:  7LiT5WMOTy2L63seGcwkCw.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  71.9 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I'd only do the faded emblems if the grill had the same gentle faded patina. Given the grill you show on the car, definitely Fresh.
    +1. Consistent faded or consistent fresh, but not mixed together.
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

What's 'Fresh' Now . . .

. . . 'll end-up 'faded' later, eventually

Patina?

I hate that word

Gimme aged, used, worn, weathered, beat, old --- every time

'Cause, after a while? --- when there 're only 'restored' + 'personalized' + 'outlawed' + 're-imagined' cars around? . . .

. . . everyone 'll forget what original cars really looked like

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-original-cars
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...-Little-Things

If it's dirty? --- clean it
    If it's broken? --- fix it
    If it's missing --- replace it
    Only if you can't do the 1st three . . . then restore it

And, meanwhile, all the time/every chance you get --- DRIVE IT!

The grills rarely ever fade in the same way as the emblems. My grill is original and it looks great. The lettering has seemingly aged less gracefully.