Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: @Gooding&Company - '71ST Rally Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by cscrogham View Post
    When we had it prior to selling to Gary it was blue, he had it repainted in the Waldegaard green in like 2 weeks after he picked it up!
    How much of the tub and panels are original?

It seems like few of these are after their rough lives.

I’d buy it if I could be convinced the tub was original.

Quote Originally Posted by larwik View Post
    At RRIII Daytona in 2007 ...last pic with Björn Waldegård and Gary K...
    Gary was not happy that day, a magazine editor had told him his stickers were in the wrong place.

He was in fine spirits the night before at dinner. I did enjoy telling Mr. Waldegård about all my Swedish adventures.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

The stickers were the least of it. He had the whole identity and color wrong. That mistake seems to be stuck to the car. That auction bombed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    The stickers were the least of it. He had the whole identity and color wrong. That mistake seems to be stuck to the car. That auction bombed.
    It would sell if people believed in the car. Show me the pictures pre restoration as I don’t believe it’s that original. This is the third ST in a row I’ve seen where most of the tub or metal is not original. Another one is being restored now.

If I’m buying a car I want the tub to be original. Everyone talks about matching numbers with the engine and transmission _ sure that’s great (less important on a race car to me) but give me the tub that the factory built not something spliced together or retubbed later. That’s most important. (I credit this thinking to a friend when we had a philosophical discussion of what makes a race car “real.” Where’s the sound of the car from).

These restorers out there hide the before photos. European collectibles was sued over the Seinfeld fake Carrera GT speedster - no photos of the before? It sold cheaply at auction because the market suspected/knew it was a suspect made up car. Why Seinfeld didn’t know with his ability to reach out to experts is nuts. I had been warned before so I don’t know why he didn’t know. EC said they couldn’t get in contact with the seller when they bought the project and I’ve never seen photos of what they bought either before they “restored” it.

I beleive the market for the ST and RSR is suffering really much from the fake authenticy certificates given by former Porsche employees. I also own a car which Porsche itself qualified beeing the original one, problem is the FIN exist twice, both cars are now crap.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    These restorers out there hide the before photos. European collectibles was sued over the Seinfeld fake Carrera GT speedster - no photos of the before? It sold cheaply at auction because the market suspected/knew it was a suspect made up car. Why Seinfeld didn’t know with his ability to reach out to experts is nuts. I had been warned before so I don’t know why he didn’t know. EC said they couldn’t get in contact with the seller when they bought the project and I’ve never seen photos of what they bought either before they “restored” it.
    Richard, whats the latest on this? have not heard a word about it in a long time. Did they settle out of court?

I think both of you are right. The market is fearful when it comes to these type of cars because of the funny business that has gone on. Documentation and more importantly photo documentation is key.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Richard, whats the latest on this? have not heard a word about it in a long time. Did they settle out of court?
    The crazy twist to this story is there is a Speedster in the Northeast that was repaired with the numbered front clip from the original Carrera! You can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    I don’t know. Court proceedings can take a long time, especially if discovery is involved.
    I would think there would be a private settlement to protect the reputations of those involved.

This reminds me of a conversation I had over thirty years ago with a friend who owned a 910. He commented that there were three 910s with the same VIN and two were legit. Seriously, a damaged frame was replaced by the factory and then much later the frame was repaired. Someone forgot to go to the crusher.