Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FS: @Gooding&Company - '71ST Rally Coupe

The fellow behind the wheel looks familiar - Jeff Zwart? Pics look like they were taken in the Newport Beach back bay area.

71ST 10.jpg

71ST 11.jpg

71ST 12.jpg

71ST 13.jpg

71ST 14.jpg

71ST 15.jpg

71ST 16.jpg

71ST 17.jpg

71ST 18.jpg

71ST 19 -28.jpg
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

It is Jeff’s car. He’s definitely had some great models.

Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548

VIN: 9111300647
    I owned this car in 1971 and 1972. Earlier in the thread, it was said that the car was in Sweden, but it was actually in Switzerland.
    Yes, I know I am an old man but my long term memory works very well
    (I cannot remember what I had for lunch yesterday).
    In 1971 a truck stopped in front of our (my parents) house and VW dealership in the Alps in Switzerland. It was on its way from Genoa to Stuttgart. In the enclosed truck box were two cars: the green Waldegard car and the white 911 130 0647. The Waldegard car was a complete write off with big damage to the right front corner. In front of that car was the white 911 130 0647 with basically no major body damage but completely abused. So, my friend, Fritz B. (RIP) and I bought the car together from Gian Rico Steinemann (RIP) (of course with a cheque to Porsche). Mr. Hugh Hodges is absolutely right – Steinemann told us that it was a “Trainingswagen” ( practice car ). The car never went back to Germany (only after I owned it). My friend Fritz (a racer in his own right with British sports cars Lotus 23 and 49) used the car as it was in complete Safari livery in the city of Zurich as a café racer after taking the aluminum protection plates off.

A few months later, he brought me the car and I bought him out. Slowly I started to work on the car – after hours, at night, and on weekends. The thing was still full of desert sand and dust. The heater blower blew the dust all over the place. Besides a few scratches and dents the A-pillars were cracked at the bottom of the windshield which was broken anyway. Next thing was that I had to lower the car. To do that I exchanged the front Bilstein struts with Koni struts because the knuckles on the Bilsteins were mounted lower on the strut so with lowering I had too much negative camber. I started to take all the rally components off, such as Cibie lights in the front (actually lights from Citroen I/D and D/S). Inside the car the card reader and trip master came out.

I sold the completely stock 2.2 litre engine (no twin plug) to a Mr. Schoch who loaded it together with some other Porsche parts in a VW bus and shipped it to the USA (Los Angeles?). Now I widened the front fenders and front bumper, fixed all of the body damage, and painted the car blue. In the rear I installed 15x9” ATS wheels. I also installed a 2.3 litre engine from an abandoned 914-6 project. The engine had polished ports, twin plug, 906 cam shafts, non adjustable rocker arms, titanium connecting rods, 2.3 litre pistons 87.5mm x 66mm, Marelli dist., Weber carbs, and rally exhaust.

The motor was built by a leading Porsche mechanic of Central Switzerland (Anton K.) at a Porsche dealer in Zurich after hours. The parts I bought from Frau Baer in Stuttgart – Kornwestheim. Later I heard that the 66mm stroke was changed by replacing the crank shaft with a 70.4mm stroke (no more titanium rods). Towards end of 1972, I finally finished the car and was planning to enter it in the European Hill Climb and Swiss Championship in 1973. However, life got in the way. Having a wife and daughter now and already planning to move to North America changed everything and I sold the car to a gentleman from Zurich, Charly Sch.(RIP) He entered the car in the Swiss Championship in 1973 with two races in Germany: Niederstetten and Hockenheim (sources: Racing sports cars, archives Swiss Automobile Revue, Euromontagna.com) before he changed to a Carrera RSR in 1974. Then I lost track until I found the car in some magazine pictures from shows in Germany (Techno Classica 2005) advertised as Waldergard’s car.

In 2006, I visited Monterey car week and found the car at Christie’s car auction still advertised as Waldergard’s car ( could not believe my eyes ).
    Soon after that the car was painted green. I knew it was all B.S. As Mr. Hugh Hodges says, it is finally in its original livery (more or less).

Cheers, Remi

(Pictures are from 1972 when I sold the car and the new owner picked it up with the trailer in Switzerland)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RemiJr; 05-18-2021 at 09:18 PM.

Remi ---

Great write up with attention to all the details on this wonderful car. I absolutely love the stories behind these special cars.

David

Wonderful early history on this car. In the photo with your car on the trailer, is that a 1963 Chevrolet Impala as the tow vehicle?
    Doug Dill

1973 911E Coupe
    PCA #1987109761
    Early 911S Registry #548