Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest in reproduction of early style SWB muffler

Gauging interest in reproduction of early style SWB muffler

Gauging interest in a very accurate reproduction of the Leistritz 901/1 muffler used on the early SWB cars. I send my original muffler to a well respected muffler manufacturer In Germany and they can duplicate it no problem. MOQ is 10 pieces. I should have pricing information soon. If you have an interest please PM me.

JK
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Can you tell me what cars this would be accurate up through?

Lightbulb

As soon as you have a price Bob Fleming can probably share it w the 232 registry, there must be members on that list who are not ( active ) on this registry but who would like their car a bit more authentic?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Can you tell me what cars this would be accurate up through?
    I am not quite sure as I am just a dumb 356 guy and a rookie when it comes to the 911's. It looks like there were two versions:

- Early style, chrome tip part of actual muffler
    - Later style, chrome tip separate of the muffler

The remainder of construction appears to be the same between both. I do not know what the cut-off is between the early and late style and when the ;late style with the wrapped around shield as seen on my above picture was phased out. The below picture seems to suggest it was still in use during early S production

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    As soon as you have a price Bob Fleming can probably share it w the 232 registry, there must be members on that list who are not ( active ) on this registry but who would like their car a bit more authentic?

Richard
    Richard, as soon as I have the pricing I will report back here

Another muffler project I was/am involved in note the similarities in construction. This system is for the 692 4-cams with the street exhaust

I'm interested.

John
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 53 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 13 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

Quote Originally Posted by John Straub View Post
    I'm interested.

John
    Also interested...
    RS

Little update, we have been making further steps. From what we know now there appear to be three versions of the 901/1 Leistritz muffler used into 66/67:

- Version 1, used on Porsche 901 and the first ~1000 911 models, tip with smooth inside radius chrome plated and welded to muffler end. Tip cut at slight angle
    - Version 2, used to somewhere late 1965, same as version 1 in general construction but tip not chrome plated and end not cut at an angle, inside radius smooth
    - Version 3, used from late '65 to somewhere in 1967, same as Version 2 but inside radius of tip has pronounced ripples from the bending

Currently I am positive we can offer both version 1&2, I have asked the manufacturer if they can also offer version three which would be the correct option for early S's etc. Hope to know more about this soon.

Construction and materials will be an exact duplicate of the original Version 3 muffler supplied by me. This will ensure original type sound. Mufflers will be stamped with the 901/1 type number but not the Leistritz logo as original. For those wanting that there are options to apply it later.

Final point left to resolve before production are coating. The version 1 muffler as seen in factory pictures supplied by Bob shows a light color. The version three systems (no data points for version 2) appear to be darker in color. Richard (pre-s) is helping me figure out this final detail so that we can offer the correct coating.

If anybody out there has an interest in any of the versions mentioned above contact me. Pricing for people who are willing to commit upfront will be better than pricing on any units remaining which will become available afterwards

This used a Leistritz is the earliest I have, dated 11-68.
    I would say light grey.

I do have a NOS 74 which is dark grey.

Hope this helps.

Richard

Name:  C96515AC-8C07-4087-81DC-CB328A333ED8.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  73.0 KBName:  C96515AC-8C07-4087-81DC-CB328A333ED8.jpg
Views: 1370
Size:  73.0 KB
    searching for engine (case) 903742