Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauging interest in reproduction of early style SWB muffler

We are using a NOS .08 muffler to determine to correct position of the tip. Most of the jig work for the outside of the muffler is done. My original one will now be cut apart to document the internals and make the appropriate tooling.

Soon I will be contacting all of you who have expressed an interest for final confirmation.

Still would love to find a used .03 or earlier muffler to double check if the .08 tip position is indeed the same as the earlier mufflers. With regard to the angle of the outlet for the 901 systems, we will try and determine this from some of the factory pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Reporting back on the 901 muffler project. Sadly Covid has been a distorting factor. These will be made in Germany and the factory is currently working at very low capacity and is experiencing considerable strains in material availability. Their current planning puts delivery out for 4-5 months at least.

I will be e-mailing those who have expressed an interest if this is workable for them. There is very little margin in this project and I don't want to be stuck with 20 systems because people no longer need them.

If you want an original authentic construction made in Germany 901 system (~first 1000 cars) or second series system (most SWB) contact me offline

This has been slow but moving along. Stamping dies are done and first test piece of the outer shield looked good. We are now working on the stamp for the Leistritz and 901/1 detail. If you want an original style exhaust for your car now would be the time to step-up.

Would this muffler also fit the later long hood cars (69-73)?
    Might give you a bigger market to sell this item.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Die schönste Rennstrecke der Welt. Nordschleife's Avatar
    This might help re: date stamps… I picked up a Leistritz 901.11.012.01 muffler. It is dated 04/67. Has the additional heat shield sheet metal and the “corrugated” tailpipe. Was painted black. I have blasted it back to metal, prepped it + VHT grey hi-temp primer followed by VHT flat black hi-temp paint. It will be going on my SWB 911 soon.

Best,
    Andy in New Hampshire
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Early 911S Registry #1246
    1968 Porsche 911 Cotswold Blue/Schwartz #118 35153
    1962 Marcos G.T. 1000 Gullwing historic race car - now sold and racing in FIA events in Sweden
    ---------------------------------------
    "Pro Patria Vigilans"

HI Andy,

Thanks for sharing. Cool muffler. Somewhere in '67 they switched to just the single top heat shield. We can also do these for those interested.

JK

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    Would this muffler also fit the later long hood cars (69-73)?
    Might give you a bigger market to sell this item.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly the later mufflers did not have the heat shield. You could use one but it would not be authentic. This will be a small run to help my car and a friends who needs one for a 901.

Just a guess but maybe the different versions were created to fight the sometimes cooked and burnt paint on license panels. So added padding inside. BTW my October 1969 made 911 has the original muffler dated 10/69 and has the ribbed inside radius. Also the changes on the straps could be to compensate for the 1972 Bishoff mufflers coming into use. they being stainless steel and are double layer Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Step by step

Name:  WhatsApp Image 2022-01-18 at 15.48.08.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  59.3 KB

I have interest in a few of these mufflers and also heat exchangers for a 1/65 911.
    Let me know.
    Thanks,...