Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapest 911 Soft Window Targa that actually runs

Camano Island, WA 75 mins north of Seattle

Fresh out of 43 yrs of storage, 68 911L SW ROW Targa

Talk about a long nap, this car was purchased in Texas in 1974, moved to Seattle in 1976, started a light cleanup/restoration in early 77, and has been stored indoors ever since. Engine and tranny were both functional/working when removed, tranny is original to car, interior is in great shape, overall body looks to be in good shape, rust is minimal (light rust on driver/passenger rocker and a few bubbles in paint - thank goodness Texas car that was stored indoors in Seattle), all 5 15x5.5 fuchs are present/proper, came with extra 1970 911T engine, and everything looks to be there. "Could be better news" engine lines up to 69 911T (not original) but has the 68 911L proper Weber 40 IDAs, don't ask me how/why but it was originally Irish Green and was repainted twice, VIN clearly lines up to ROW 68 911L targa (I have the Kardex, thanks Dave P!) its titled as a 69. Kardex confirms went to dealer in Frankfurt, the fuchs, tranny is matching, and a few other options.

Engine turns over with good compression so plan is to clean her up, reinstall engine/transaxle, go through all the brakes (has the vented rotors from the S), and bring her back to driver status. I found a thread on Pelican parts where someone was going to sell the matching engine to this car in 2011 but it sold and the seller doesn't remember where it went to, dang.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very cool find. I look forward to your progress.

Post the engine # in the lost & found section. Many a car has been reunited with its long lost engine. You never know!
    Reg#2218

Excellent !!! …
    Looks like your adventures have just begun....

Cheers, luck, and hope to see more

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very cool car! Wish you the best of luck!
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

Nice project. I just brought my 69S back to life after sitting for 30 years. You will probably find, as I did, a lot of parts that deteriorated just from age. Check all your bushings and seals as you go since it’s a lot easier to replace now than after the car is back together. Test all electrical devices for proper function. Fuel systems can be especially problematic. Be prepared to spend several hundred hours on it. Hope you enjoy the process as much as I did. It’s definitely worth it!
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

Yes nice project-- According to PORSCHE 911 RED BOOK by Pat Paterine, only 307 Euro 911L targa's were made. I also have a Euro 911L coupe. Since the 68 911L for the ROW cars were considered the "911 Normal" ,did these cars come standard with plain rotors like the 911 did for the US cars. Or like your targa, it came with vented rotors ? Mine came standard with vented rotors because it was a Sporto car and needed the extra braking because on a sporto there is no overrun compression from the engine to speak of. Good luck with project Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Camano Island, WA 75 mins north of Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Yes nice project-- According to PORSCHE 911 RED BOOK by Pat Paterine, only 307 Euro 911L targa's were made. I also have a Euro 911L coupe. Since the 68 911L for the ROW cars were considered the "911 Normal" ,did these cars come standard with plain rotors like the 911 did for the US cars. Or like your targa, it came with vented rotors ? Mine came standard with vented rotors because it was a Sporto car and needed the extra braking because on a sporto there is no overrun compression from the engine to speak of. Good luck with project Chris
    It has the vented 911S rotors. Some info on that here https://www.quartoknows.com/blog/qua...68-porsche-911

So it looks like only the 911T for 1968 had the solid disk brakes and only sold in Europe.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Nice TEKA seatbelts! Take care of those.
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547