Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.0 heat exchanger options, SSI vs stock vs ?

Can you post some good pictures of your heat exchangers, we can them compare them w SSI and SSI Dansk?

As for your engine two small notes. The wire holders I have never seen on a solex engine like that and the lining might have to be blue?

Name:  E267EAC4-E75E-443C-A625-296D2ED147DF.jpeg
Views: 462
Size:  82.4 KB

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    Can you post some good pictures of your heat exchangers, we can them compare them w SSI and SSI Dansk?

As for your engine two small notes. The wire holders I have never seen on a solex engine like that and the lining might have to be blue?

Name:  E267EAC4-E75E-443C-A625-296D2ED147DF.jpeg
Views: 462
Size:  82.4 KB

Richard
    The plug wire holders are on Solex engines. Here is a factory photo where you can see them.

Name:  IMG_3245.JPG
Views: 444
Size:  210.3 KBName:  IMG_3240.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  776.7 KB

Thanks for all the builds, good to know that the current produced SSI's are still of good quality.

@Richard, the oil lines I found on my engine also had the two copper strands. I went through considerable expense to have these duplicated so sure hope they are not incorrect. My car was garaged and not driven from '76 onward. This is no guarantee that everything I found was original but the lines looked so to me having the Cohline logo's on the ferrules etc. so I duplicated them. The rubber wire guides were also on there but I have seen these on more cars including a very well documented original early '65 and '67S so I assumed/assume they are correct. One thing that has me pondering is the triangular distributor wire holders as seen on the below picture. My cars original distributor was changed for a yellow badged one somewhere during its life these might have been added at that time. At that time they appear to have also replaced one of the straight spark plu ends. If anybody out there has a spare one I would be very interested.

As soon as I am a little bit further along with my engine I will take some decent pictures as I would love to have it critiqued by those in the know so that I can make any required changes.

Will dig my original heat exchangers out today and post some pictures
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Below some pictures of what I believe to be the original heat exchangers of my car. Couple of items of note:

- Note darker grey paint similar to what I found on my muffler, Much darker than the flat grey mostly seen, reminds me of later style 4-cam exhausts
    - Think they are to crusty to use as a base for restoration
    - I found my last barrel nut :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Wanted to get back on the copper lining/tracers on my oil lines. I just reviewed some pictures I have of a very original unrestored 67s, it has the same lines. I believe they phased in these lines somewhere late 65 when they moved away from the center lube cams

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Wanted to get back on the copper lining/tracers on my oil lines. I just reviewed some pictures I have of a very original unrestored 67s, it has the same lines. I believe they phased in these lines somewhere late 65 when they moved away from the center lube cams
    That is what I think too. Center lube lines have blue tracers. Brad Davis might have some input?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Below some pictures of what I believe to be the original heat exchangers of my car...
    Joris, those heat exchangers were not original to a 901/01 Solex engine.
    I'm curious if they have restrictor rings welded into the muffler flanges, as the later 901/05 engines did.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

Jon, interesting... can you elaborate on what visually makes Joris's heat exchangers incorrect for a Solex engine? I thought the rectangular first gen boxes were phased out in early '65. Is there something in between?
    Last edited by 356rider; 08-03-2020 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 356rider View Post
    Jon, interesting... can you elaborate on what visually makes Joris's heat exchangers incorrect for a Solex engine? I thought the rectangular first gen boxes were phased out in early '65. Is there something in between?
    Chuck, heat exchangers with equal length exhaust were developed for the 911S engine, and first used in the 67 model year.
    For the 67 901/05 engines, they had restrictor rings on the muffler flanges.
    The original heat exchangers were used through 66 on all 901/01 and early 901/05 engines.

Jon B.
    Vista, CA

I know that this has been discussed before but my understanding was that Porsche stopped using the original rectangular boxes in early '65 for safety reasons as there were welds internal to the box and they had dealers replace them. So the original 901 boxes were used all the way until the '67 model year? If so, then my thinking was way off. My May '65 car has heat exchangers similar to Joris and they do not have restrictors at the muffler flanges. However, even though the car is unrestored, I question if they are original to the car as one side had a small tab to adapt to the 6mm mounting stud at the bottom of the 901/01 engine as it was in a slightly different location. I was curious about that adapter tab. Maybe it was updated at the dealer early in its life?