Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WANT TO BORROW: Harness bar for 911 coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Thank you, Jim! I will be doing videos with earlier cars as well, so will pursue the cargo bar idea instead. Enjoy Santa Barbara!
    Life is good in SB. I do have a custom modified harness bar for 69 to 71 cars in my hot rod. I can send it to you but will need it back in a week or so. The weltmeister, you can keep for as long as you like.

Jim

Jim,

good info on the harness bar.
    I m looking for such a bar for an 11/71 here in Germany. Shipping from US will nearly double the price of the bar.

Refering to the introduction of the lowered mounting point from 11/71 on, the early MY72 (8-10/71) should use the early bar, or?
    02.11.71 seat belt mounting point on door lock post (coupe) lowered 90mm

How to judge if it is -72 one or the later versions. Is there a number engraved?

BR from Stuttgart

Dirk

Didn’t the lowered shoulder harness bolts happen at the 72 year model change? I don’t know why the makers of harness bars don’t just make them adjustable to fit both early and late models. The length isn’t that much different.

Regards

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Breazeale; 08-09-2020 at 02:19 AM.

Hi Jim,

the door post with the lowered shoulder harness bolts were introduced during Nov 1971.
    Any chance to measure your -71 version?

The later one, that I need, should be little longer.

BR

Dirk

Name:  InkedMJ72 Änderungen_LI.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  676.0 KB

Here's what I did: Harbor Freight ratcheting cargo bar, quick fabbed aluminum mount and because the cargo bar rotates freely, a tripod to brace the ratchet handle. A bit Rube Goldberg, but worked perfectly.

Big thank you to 68911+1 for the cargo bar tip!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    Hi Jim,

the door post with the lowered shoulder harness bolts were introduced during Nov 1971.
    Any chance to measure your -71 version?

The later one, that I need, should be little longer.

BR

Dirk

Name:  InkedMJ72 Änderungen_LI.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  676.0 KB
    Dirk

Here is a picture of my 71. I find it interesting that the list suggests that early production 72s had the seat belt bolts up high like mine. I kind of doubt that. Yes, you car should have a slightly longer harness bar than mine. The harness bars that are currently available, all would fit your car and not mine.

the bolts in my 8/71 and 1th of 11/71 cars are placed 90mm below the roof

Quote Originally Posted by dirk07 View Post
    the bolts in my 8/71 and 1th of 11/71 cars are placed 90mm below the roof
    Here's mine. If your 72 is the same, I stand corrected. You need the shorter bar and you will have to make it as I don't think any of the manufacturers actually make a bar to fit. I shortened my Brey Krauss Racing bar about 24mm to make it fit(shown in the picture).

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    Here's what I did: Harbor Freight ratcheting cargo bar, quick fabbed aluminum mount and because the cargo bar rotates freely, a tripod to brace the ratchet handle. A bit Rube Goldberg, but worked perfectly.

Big thank you to 68911+1 for the cargo bar tip!
    Nicely done!!

I measure the same distance in two early (8/12/71+ 11/1/71), Jim.

Name:  04885838-3487-46AB-8081-FF6049505F20.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  78.8 KBName:  EC2169A5-61F5-4AC1-8514-2924DCDF8644.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  95.1 KB