Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint removal help

Paint removal help

Hi I am planning on buying a project car. It’s been painted by a butcher from the USA :-)

Owner says paint can be removed on wires, tubes, housings etc. , I have my doubts. Any advise ?

Best

Jeroen

Name:  C22B5E55-3073-4DD2-BA66-1BB2F1BB7D2B.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  110.1 KB
    Name:  D569FCD8-1508-4E70-ACFE-8243E0A212A7.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  125.5 KB

I've certainly done my share of overspray cleanup with lacquer thinner. That said, you're dealing with a LOT of paint there. Depending on the paint used and its age, I'd be prepared to replace/refinish at least some of the parts in question.

So sad, looks like best solution is lacquer thinner and fine steel wool.
    With gloves.
    Sometimes the stuff underneath is in real good shape.q

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

what live and Scott said .... plus, try a heat gun and a razer blade to chip/peal it off. then follow up on the wiring and plastic stuff with the lacquer thinner and steel wool...

You ahould be able to get most of it off the wires and hard plastic. Depending on the paint and hardener used, lacquer thinner may not do too much. Be prepared to spend many, many hours of hard, frustrating work. Do not let the seller convince you that it will not be very difficult - it will.
    Last edited by 356rider; 08-12-2020 at 06:06 PM.

And be careful: Lacquer thinner won't melt the platic parts and wire insulation--probably--but it WILL suck the plasticizers out and make those materials more brittle than they probably already are.
    I just went through this adventure on my '66. Lots of wire insulation and wrap were crumbly after 50 + years.

For small model cars.
    If you soak a pre painted model in brake fluid.
    Soaking is overnight...or longer.
    The paint will just call off. And the styrene plastic is not harmed at all.

So another consideration. But I would only do it with parts off the car.

had a similar case ...dry ice blasting took off a lot of the overspray..but you need an experienced operator who knows his matter since the risk of damaging things is given.

could well be that it it`s a good thing that there is a thick layer of paint applied on your car . sometimes makes it easier to flake it off

Thank you all so much !!!!

Like Scoot A said; soak it overnight, I use degreaser (not mineral spirit) mixed with hot water and top the heat up 1 or 2 times. Then go at it with the pressure washer with heat if you have.
    Hope for bad prepping when it was painted ...

But, when you see this on a car ...take a moment and consider what you don't see. That kind of paint work is a warning flag even if it's blue

Bengt
    Light Yellow -74
    @lagteknik