Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My Mid (engine) Life Crisis

Thanks. We rolled the lips on the rear quarters and set the Bilsteins to their highest settings in the back. So far, no rubbing.

Wow Mike!! You really nailed it on what a sports-purpose 914-4 should be.... just nailed it! I can't wait for a ride... :-)

Lee
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Nice Mike......
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Thanks Lee & Luke. Hope you guys are doing well.

Stunning!! Those seats really set off the interior
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera

Admin please remove this post including images for me. I posted it in the wrong location.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 71six; 08-24-2020 at 01:55 PM.
    Mark Curtin
    Early S Registry #369
    Rgruppe #247

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    VERY nice Mike!! I like the fat sidewall look, nice choice of tire as well.... I assume it goes as well as it looks!
    Thanks Eric, high praise indeed! Yes, I agonized about the wheel/tire ratio and profile. I feel the 914 always needed more tire to really show off it’s lines. It’s such a svelte car and undersize tires and a too low profile don’t seem to do it any justice.

Right now I’m relearning everything the last 20 years of driving a 911 has taught me!

Here’s a detail that may qualify as ‘satanic’. For years I’ve wanted to modify a factory 380 wheel to a smaller size. I finally found someone capable of doing it, and with a spare wheel I got from Chris Neilsen I was able to realize my dream.

This is a factory 380 wheel that has had the outer rim cut off and a 345 outer rim welded on, and then it’s been double wrapped so now it’s 350. At first glance you’d never know it wasn’t factory, but it’s a detail that I think will make a huge difference in driving the car.

320E64FC-FCC0-4813-A2E1-FE023471D984.jpg

FDB8B8A9-FF9C-48B4-BDFA-15777D8E25CE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    Here’s a detail that may qualify as ‘satanic’. For years I’ve wanted to modify a factory 380 wheel to a smaller size. I finally found someone capable of doing it, and with a spare wheel I got from Chris Neilsen I was able to realize my dream.

This is a factory 380 wheel that has had the outer rim cut off and a 345 outer rim welded on, and then it’s been double wrapped so now it’s 350. At first glance you’d never know it wasn’t factory, but it’s a detail that I think will make a huge difference in driving the car.

FDB8B8A9-FF9C-48B4-BDFA-15777D8E25CE.jpg
    Car looks great, Mike—love the clean, narrow look in silver as well as the wheels, tires, and interior setup. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the steering wheel.

I actually went up in diameter a few years ago, but that was from a Momo that really was too small. Suspect you new wheel is ~similar in diameter to where I am at now, which has worked out well.

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    Car looks great, Mike—love the clean, narrow look in silver as well as the wheels, tires, and interior setup. Will be curious to hear your thoughts on the steering wheel.

I actually went up in diameter a few years ago, but that was from a Momo that really was too small. Suspect you new wheel is ~similar in diameter to where I am at now, which has worked out well.
    Thanks Pete.

For some reason the combination of the Scheel sport seat, the partial roll bar across the door, and the 380 wheel made it hard to get in and out of the car. Maybe I could take some material out of the seat cushion bottom, but the top of my legs was way too close to the bottom of the 380 wheel.