Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do we start - 1966 911 Maybe? Going to need some help determining what it is.

Where do we start - 1966 911 Maybe? Going to need some help determining what it is.

Long story short. I bought this car from my next door neighbor and has had it in his garage for 20 years and owned it since 1987. Took me 6 years to buy it from him and I was able to get it for a fraction of the cost of what solex carbs go for today.

Based on the VIN/Chassis/Engine numbers its a 1966. The body is ruined as far as I can tell since it has nothing from 1966. Almost no rust, but i will be dipping and restoring so ill handle that.

The dash and gauges are year correct, but door panels and doors appear to be 80's ish? Hopefully you guys can help me on this one. Seats are maybe aftermarket.

Engine Number is 903620 / Build 901/01 3521.

From what I can tell here is what is not correct:

Wrong Doors / Mirrors / Panels
    Has Fiberglass Fenders / and glass rear fenders on factory quarters.
    Wrong bumpers- Front and Rear
    2.4L Fan Cover
    Aftermarket Electronics
    LWB Hood
    Wrong steering wheel
    Has wheels that look like Fuchs - Could be Fuchs
    Missing Airbox and other OEM engine accessories
    Rear Seats look good and correct
    Fiberglass engine cover

With all of these things I almost feel as if its either an 80's car with vin/chassis/engine swap, or someone actually ruined a 1966. The color code says it was Green and I can see remnants of green in many spots of the car under the many layers of paint over it.

I have not pulled the wheels yet to get a perfect wheel base measurement, but from what i am measuring its the LWB car. Could someone actually have made it longer? Is that even possible?

So, what is this thing? What determining factors can i look at to see if this really started out as a SWB 1966, or something that was just tossed together. Either way, I'm going to love it and make it nice. I just need to come to terms with if its a real 1966 and i need to start procuring the correct year parts, or is it something else (and what is it)

Thanks for your help ahead of time. Also, if anyone is in Southern California and wants to come take a look, just let me know.

Last thing. I am a the Product Manager for JE Pistons for the last 14 years, so if you guys have any engine tech questions or piston questions I would be glad to help. I am not on the sales side so, just tech and engineering only.

You are correct, this is quite the amalgam of parts. I am afraid the engine is not original to the chassis; you should have a type 901/05. Yes, it is a 1966 model year car with Irish green paint. I guess you need to decide if to try and restore to original or to keep as a hotrod.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

VIN Reference 304195
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

From the very few pictures, a 66 sunroof coupe. Why do you think the doors are incorrect? Also, pictures of the underneath, trunk and from the side would help a bit. Why do you think the doors aren't right? Seats look like aftermarket Recaros. Yeah, figure you basically have a 3/4 tub until you start pulling all of the crap off it.

And yes, with reworked rear quarters and the appropriate trailing arms, you could make a SWB into a LWB. That was even done on one of the 911Rs.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Boy I am glad i found this community. I am actually okay with the engine numbers not matching. It would have been a bonus to have everything matching, but that's life. I am going to continue on the full restoration path and if the stars align in the future and i stumble upon the engine that matches this chassis, then that would be great. If not, life goes on.

Since my engine is 903620 901/01 3521 I am assuming that I have an engine from a 1965 911. Is there a way to find which engine came with my VIN? Is someone looking for the engine in my car now?

On to why I think the doors are incorrect; They just seem too good of shape to be from the original car considering the condition of everything else. I have no other basis outside of modern door panels and power window switches.

Here are more photos. Maybe it will paint a more clear picture. I am going to start the documented tear down and build this weekend. Is there anything i should check for once I remove most of the panels?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Early 911S Registry # 3983
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818
    2017 Holden Commodore / Chevy SS

Contact member davep for your car’s Kardex. Good luck on your trek!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Cheers and welcome Nick...……. Lots of work... then lots of adventures to come !!!!
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Welcome Nick! And welcome to another wood dash car! You will have quite the journey and thanks for letting us follow along.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Looks like the car has a Golde sun roof. Single fuse box.
    eric

Nickolaus,

Welcome to the group. Should be a fun trip.

Someone moved the serial number aluminum plate from the latch panel to the passengers side inner wheel house, good for them saving it.
    Look for the serial number to be stamped, passenger side, on the flat (next to the gas tank).

When you remove the knee pad on the bottom of the dash the six digit serial number will be stamped just below the radio opening. (It is the factory "Secret" stamping - that we all now know)
    With your paint tag and car registration tag having the same serial number this stamped #'s into the car will be a good thing.

That gas tank is period - cuz it has a rubberized covering (called the sombrero) save as much of it as you can.

Your doors have later car glass, 66 would have opening wing windows.
    Once you remove the door interior panel a photo of the door lock lever hardware will tell year.

Good luck.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370