Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do we start - 1966 911 Maybe? Going to need some help determining what it is.

Yep it's a '66 all right, made in April, 1966. Irish Green, probably sprayed that color in the same sequence with my car (304065). 304195 is 130 numbers off so look for production in the second week of April or therabouts.

I don't think that engine number is correct given that after February, 1966 the Factory used Webers instead of Solex and the type code is 901/05. You have an earlier Solex engine. My engine number is 907316 for reference.

Looks like what somebody did was "update" it with later parts and paint black everything else. For example the rear window latches.

But everything can be fixed, and somebody might even see value in the RSR body work. I'd strip everything off and see what you have.

I think you're right about the doors, the '66 doors have a smaller hole than '67 and later, and the latches are wrong, and as Bob correctly points out, a '66 had operable vent windows. Somebody could have kept the original doors (which might have the last three of the VIN stamped in them) and just changed the window frames, but more likely they used complete doors from a 70's car that "didn't make it."

Happy to answer questions about how to bring this one back if that is your plan.

Here's what it should look like when it's done. . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Judging from the additional pics of the doors and if they indeed have electric windows (switch on the passenger door), then I suspect they were replaced in total to easily update the entire look (rear view windows, window frames, mounting locations for the later door cards, handles etc). Rear parcel shelf is interesting. If hand done, it looks pretty good. Don't know that I've seen speaker holes like that before. Later parcel shelves had speaker openings and grills. Front latch panel is atrocious but, like Bob mentioned still have the (assuming) original VIN Plate and most of the rest of the frunk looks original.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Again, you guys are awesome. I will take more pictures and try to get the numbers off the knee plate tonight. The parts list keeps growing.
    Early 911S Registry # 3983
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818
    2017 Holden Commodore / Chevy SS

Found another place where my vin number was stamped above the gas tank. Also was able take a photo of behind the knee cover. I wasn't expecting to have to do yoga in order to loosen the 4x 8mm nuts, however it came off surprisingly easy.

Glad everything is matching and this is indeed a true 1966 911. Now to find who has my original block.

I will start the tear down process this weekend and document on the way. Do I continue it on the this same post, or are you supposed to create a dedicated build post. I wasn't sure of the protocol and which sub forum it belongs in.
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818

No real "protocol" but, IMO start a new thread with a freshly identified "66. Most of the "build" threads are in General and if you need specific technical help, best to start a new thread based on the technical subject. That way it might help the next guy down the road searching a topic.

Also, make sure to use the search feature as a lot of material has been covered already. Besides, if you don't we'll burn you to the ground.

I keed! Look forward to seeing your progress!
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Yep it's a '66 all right, made in April, 1966. Irish Green, probably sprayed that color in the same sequence with my car (304065). 304195 is 130 numbers off so look for production in the second week of April or therabouts.

I don't think that engine number is correct given that after February, 1966 the Factory used Webers instead of Solex and the type code is 901/05. You have an earlier Solex engine. My engine number is 907316 for reference.

Looks like what somebody did was "update" it with later parts and paint black everything else. For example the rear window latches.

But everything can be fixed, and somebody might even see value in the RSR body work. I'd strip everything off and see what you have.

I think you're right about the doors, the '66 doors have a smaller hole than '67 and later, and the latches are wrong, and as Bob correctly points out, a '66 had operable vent windows. Somebody could have kept the original doors (which might have the last three of the VIN stamped in them) and just changed the window frames, but more likely they used complete doors from a 70's car that "didn't make it."

Happy to answer questions about how to bring this one back if that is your plan.

Here's what it should look like when it's done. . . .
    Hey 304065, just out of curiosity, how did you determine my car was an April car? Where do i find this specific information. This will help me in buying the correct wheels and date stamps.
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818

Date determined by VIN sequence with other cars we know of, Kardex information, etc. My car, 304598, has a Kardex delivery date of 26 May 1966... John's car, 304065 is before yours...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Date determined by VIN sequence with other cars we know of, Kardex information, etc. My car, 304598, has a Kardex delivery date of 26 May 1966... John's car, 304065 is before yours...
    Ah ok, fair enough. That makes perfect sense. I wasn't sure if there was a product database by month or if these based on sequential numbers and known things. Awesome info and thanks!!!!!
    1966 911
    2002 Subaru WRX
    2012 Factory Five 818

Another Pic of a Irish Green SWB (a 65) for motivation that I drove back in high school. Obviously the fuchs are newer but such a fun car to drive. I do miss it.
    Name:  65 911 300423.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  52.2 KB
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Quote Originally Posted by Nickolaus View Post
    Glad everything is matching and this is indeed a true 1966 911. Now to find who has my original block.
    Aargh. I have a '66 block in my racecar. I'll check the number for you, but I can't get to it until spring. But if it's a match I couldn't afford swapping my engine to you and building myself another 911 2.0 race engine. Though given who you work for, maybe something could be organized.

Rich

Edit: Maybe the engine number is on on of my three logbooks for the car. I'll check tomorrow.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)