Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceramic Fuses

Ceramic Fuses

So we know we should be using ceramic fuses. Where is everyone getting these fuses? I've searched thru eBay and found some described as ceramic and others as ceramic style and purchased some. I've spent way too much time searching. There has to be a reputable retailer for these.
    Early 911S Registry #3811
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

I just bought a few from FCP. Not cheap but very nice quality.

A 10-pack assortment of Hella fuses is nine bucks shipped on Amazon. If "friendlyfred" is spending more than that he's doing it wrong. Old skool fuses aren't hard to locate.

Dislike Amazon and the world domineering plans of the Antichrist Bezos? Try any VW parts shop or Britcar outlet. The interwebs are rife with 'em.

For cheapskates that don't mind a little Chinese crap in their German conveyance how about $12 dollars American for 200 fuses: https://www.amazon.com/WMYCONGCONG-C...JE24BMPC8271GP
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Those Hella fuses advertised at 9 bucks a 10-pack as being ceramic are NOT ceramic. Just an FYI.

I'm actually surprised at this thread. I just assumed everyone was like me. At my house ceramic fuses seem to be everywhere - bottom of the junk drawer, the bowl where I keep my keys, in every part of my desk - they've literally made their way into every nook and cranny of my house over the years. Kinda like ammunition has.

I bought these ones. Not too crazy expensive and correct. https://www.partsklassik.com/p-1960-...k-1950-89.aspx
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

JP, if they're plastic like all the others I wouldn't know... owning nothing but old German cars these last 30 years has (as you suggest) provided a lifetime supply littering tool box and junk drawer bottoms. Haven't bought them in forever.

So we know the 200 for $12 are plastic and if the Hella product isn't ceramic, who's are? FWIW, is plastic not as good an insulator as ceramic?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfred View Post
    I just bought a few from FCP. Not cheap but very nice quality.
    Thanks! I thought I checked FCP and assumed all were plastic. Note the red 16 Amp is described as plastic vs. the higher priced ones.

Name:  FCP Flosser Fuses.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  38.2 KB
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Note that the fuses on Amazon above use aluminum(a nono) and the ones above from PartsKlassic use copper(a yesyes).

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    For cheapskates that don't mind a little Chinese crap in their German conveyance how about $12 dollars American for 200 fuses:
    I'm a cheapskate and Chinese and say NO to cheap Chinese crap all the time. There's no substitute for quality made goods!
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    I'm actually surprised at this thread. I just assumed everyone was like me. At my house ceramic fuses seem to be everywhere - bottom of the junk drawer, the bowl where I keep my keys, in every part of my desk - they've literally made their way into every nook and cranny of my house over the years. Kinda like ammunition has.
    JP, apparently the car you sold me didn't come with any extra fuses. I looked in every spot and tool kit. Not everyone has a surplus of classic European cars around and thus fuses on the floor resulting in a tripping hazard breaking bones. Hope you are doing well my friend.

Here's what happened... I led a rally last weekend which required me to plug-in a GPS into the cigarette lighter. I don't smoke so never needed a working lighter. Now where do I start? I had to ask guys where the fuse panel is on these early 911s. We check for a blown cigarette lighter fuse however it looks good and spin it a few times to clean off any corrosion. Still no go. Now we have to ask if someone has a spare fuse. Voila! It now works and I can learn to smoke.

Lesson learned... I'll be replacing all the fuses and cleaning all the contacts in the fuse box and carry spares with me at all times.
    '70 911S Coupe Tangerine
    Instagram @turkis.tii