Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BaT issues - is it just me, am I cursed?

Thank you John. That is very kind of you. I helped a friend sell her late husband's 68 911S that was turned into a Brumos RSR Tribute on BAT last week. I used another friend to do the listing as he is very well known to the BAT people. The car was kind of a "Bitsa" car but was very cool. They weren't too keen on listing it but having a known seller swayed them, I suppose. The car was listed with a reserve that was negotiated a bit higher than they wanted. In the end, it sold for less than the reserve but still a good number and my friend was quite happy. I have known Randy, the former owner and founder of BAT for many years but have no history as a seller or buyer on BAT so I used a known seller to represent the car. . I think the old adage "It's who you know" still applies today.

Regards

Jim

Since BaT’s sale, the number of dealer listings has skyrocketed. You can clearly see where the business model is going......

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Maybe it is their new business model, yet inexplicably, this completely clapped out '67 S they accepted: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...911s-coupe-11/

How did this one make it? Was it the Florida salvage title? That it's a no-reserve sale? Somebody really knew somebody?
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Bullethead View Post
    How did this one make it? ...Somebody really knew somebody?
    I think the first gen H1 lenses and rare thermometer option must have pushed the Hearst screeners into euphoria
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Quote Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
    I just submitted 3 cars to brat this week: matching #’s 86 Targa hotrod w/3.4L and over 150k in receipts, 5000 miles on resto / 82SC Targa in Moss Green w/53km and 100k in resto receipts and an 89 Jag XJS w/43km and 45k in receipts. All cars are damn near perfect. They told me they’d take the 86 hotrod only if I’d drop my reserve to @ 60k as they weren’t sure that I was being realistic about my amended reserve of 67. They could give a rats ass about anything except their profit. Screw the sellers. They haven’t responded back on the other 2 cars but I’m refusing to let them list them.

I tried listing an concours 83SC cab w/16,000 orig miles with them a couple of years ago (reserve then was 60k) and they told me that wasn’t their audience’s type of car. Last year they refused our ‘08 Audi S4 Avant wagon w/60,000miles because it was an automatic. I’m FOREVER done with them. Glad to hear, and use alternatives.

Anybody else have similar experiences?
    Sorry you're having this experience, my friend. I must be one of the lucky ones because my experiences with BaT have been uniformly good including several sales that have exceed my expectations by considerable margins. Yes, they push hard on the reserve, but their results speak for themselves. If I had any complaint at all, it would be with the freelancers who write the ads and take the (always incorrect) position that they know the car better than you do. There's a lot of back and forth if you care about the fine details of your listing but, again, it's been worth it for me. I wouldn't sell a car anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Sorry you're having this experience, my friend. I must be one of the lucky ones because my experiences with BaT have been uniformly good including several sales that have exceed my expectations by considerable margins. Yes, they push hard on the reserve, but their results speak for themselves. If I had any complaint at all, it would be with the freelancers who write the ads and take the (always incorrect) position that they know the car better than you do. There's a lot of back and forth if you care about the fine details of your listing but, again, it's been worth it for me. I wouldn't sell a car anywhere else.
    I too had a really good experience selling my 73RS with BAT...they were great every step of the way. They fought me a little on the RESERVE....but at the end of the day, they were SPOT on....within $5000 on a nearly $500K sale....
    Bahia Red '72 911S
    Meerblau PTS 2019 Speedster
    GP Silver, 2018 GT2RS WP....the BEAST
    Daytona Gray 2021 RS6 Avant....BEAST #2...Best daily EVER

ES #333

GONE...MANY, many great ones....

My experience purchasing via PCARMARKET was actually a good one. I have seen some comments on here that would insinuate otherwise, but seems they are growing it in the right direction for now. Worked great for me. Bummer to hear about BaT, maybe I will waste less time watching auctions now.. so maybe that’s good. No affiliation to any of the aforementioned.
    Dave Reu
    Member #3949
    1973 Silver Metallic 911S

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Awesome View Post
    My experience purchasing via PCARMARKET was actually a good one. I have seen some comments on here that would insinuate otherwise, but seems they are growing it in the right direction for now. Worked great for me. Bummer to hear about BaT, maybe I will waste less time watching auctions now.. so maybe that’s good. No affiliation to any of the aforementioned.
    I haven't got or heard any complaints about their process, just their ethics. Those guys hurt themselves with some shady moves early. Doesn't mean they can't recover and glad you had a good experience.

My experience with BAT was also very good, I sold my 914-6 there in 2018, but agree with John they don't know these cars like we do.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-porsche-914-6-7/
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

I think we will continue to see BAT transition to a more high end dealer type site with some enthusiast cars mixed in. You already seeing lots of really nice, very pricey, low miles, special cars that go for all the money, going from one private collection to another presumably. For your average car it's probably not worth the effort that BAT entails these days. We've sold 2 cars in last couple of years on BAT and here are a couple of observations.
    1. There is a 4-6 week lag from when you submit it to when it goes live, not a big deal if you're one dude with one car, but if you're trying to move cars this can mess with the system.
    2. You are basically bound to your computer 24/7 for 7 days while the auction is live to answer any questions within a couple of hours, or people start getting really antsy. So it can be pretty labor intensive.

With all this we didn't get any more than we normally get for the same level of car. So it's a lot of work, delay, and effort, for not much greater return. I think this would be different if you had a really special car or a normal car in a really special condition. Those cars would be good for BAT and probably worth the extra effort. We are continuing to use eBay for car sales with good success, set the reserves reasonable or no reserve and you will have success, we do.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!