Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noise cancelling headphones

Noise cancelling headphones

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience using a noise cancelling headset in our loud old cars? I usually just wear foam earplugs but have been wondering if the headset will do a better job while allowing bluetooth connectivity for both music and phone calls. I am particularly interested in how they deal with loud exausts and wind noise with the windows down. These seem to get good reviews...

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-wh...?skuId=6408356

Anyone care to comment?
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

I can hardly go 30 min without fatigue in my head and ears.

For 30 miles, I put foam in my ears.

For a long haul I use sound cancelled ear buds. But they aren't a blue tooth deal.
    (blue tooth to the phone would be really nice, as that would make nicer sound)
    (i use my single stock dash speaker, which is plugged into the phone, but the sound is like i remember it in the 1900s, which is more nostalgic for me)

i also use to use these on airplanes...since i could plug them in.

Name:  65584CBA-399E-4ADD-B80A-4BC5FCBF2712.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  85.8 KB

i hold my phone in the ashtray.
    Name:  phone.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  67.7 KB
    Last edited by Scott A; 09-14-2020 at 03:39 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Same here, I use Alpine Motosafe earplugs which are very comfortable. I wonder how well the Apple AirPods Pro would work though, and if they also protect your hearing the way earplugs do.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

member #1515
    I've been using this site for advice on electronics for a while:
    https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/r...ng-headphones/
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Member#2944
    Although I’m not a fan of Bose audio products, they are the best at noise canceling technology. Make sure you’re not breaking any motor vehicle laws driving with headphones on.
    Tony

'68 912 SWT White
    '74 911 Targa Lime Green
    '03 Boxster S
    ‘13 Cayenne GTS

I don’t use anything in the car. I don’t find my S that loud. But as someone who flies a 100,000 miles a year, I use either Bose active cancelling ear buds or headphones on all flights, even when not listening to music or watching a movie. I wouldn’t buy anything else from Bose (home audio is Mission, Rega, Cambridge Audio etc), but these work great and last as long as 20 hours on a single charge. Basically one way from home to Seoul or Shanghai. They work well on turboprops and jets, so they should work well in our cars.

If only using them for active noise cancellation, they don’t violate any laws on the road.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I have reservations about them. A number of friends/neighbors were professional pilots and used them and died of brain cancer. Since the RF radiation dosage is proportional to 1/R**2, and R (Distance to brain) is very small, the backscatter radiation may cause a problem.

Just a warning flag.

ORF

Quote Originally Posted by Orval_F View Post
    I have reservations about them. A number of friends/neighbors were professional pilots and used them and died of brain cancer. Since the RF radiation dosage is proportional to 1/R**2, and R (Distance to brain) is very small, the backscatter radiation may cause a problem.

Just a warning flag.

ORF

The active cancelling headsets don’t use RF unless you are talking about the bluetooth ones. And those use milliwatts, far below the 3W/kg that the FDA allows (which is the limit for both cell phones and MRI scanners), which in turn is about 100 times below any oncogenic threshold. The heat will get you before the cancer does.

Sorry, I call BS on this. I make my living RF engineering in MRI systems and know exactly what the limits are and these commercial devices are orders of magnitude away from any hazard level.

This is not to say that there isn’t a slightly increased incidence of cancers in pilots. But that appears to be related to the additional cosmic ray radiation you get flying at altitude for decades. Decades. And that increased risk is about equal to drinking one beer a week for 5 decades. It’s small.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Phones are best for air travel, but in a car or shop these are outstanding. Cut the string if desired, or leave 1/2". Silicone breaks down after a year or so.

Name:  mack.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  38.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 767driver View Post
    Hey guys, Does anyone have any experience using a noise cancelling headset in our loud old cars? I usually just wear foam earplugs but have been wondering if the headset will do a better job while allowing bluetooth connectivity for both music and phone calls. I am particularly interested in how they deal with loud exausts and wind noise with the windows down. Anyone care to comment?
    Lee, sometime in your flying career you must have opened the window in a Cessna while wearing a NC headset. Makes the NC function go a bit bonkers. Very unpleasant sensation. I assume the same would happen with the window down in your S.