Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Noise cancelling headphones

Jack Man , I’m almost the same as you, Military service with little or no hearing protection and a somewhat noisy car

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    I have found my Bose noise cancelling headset to be a lifesaver on long drives in my 911, which is exceptionally loud inside - no headliner nor carpet, no sound pad, nothing. I find that level of "white noise" to be tiring over long periods of time, so the ability to listen to music while drowning it out seems to really reduce the fatigue. I originally bought them because I was spending a great deal of time on long overseas commercial flights for my work, but it didn't take me long to see the application when driving. Mine are old enough that they are "hard wired" rather than wireless, so the only real inconvenience associated with them is the cord. It can get a bit annoying in a car, but never bad enough to make me quit using it. I really only wear them for longer stints behind the wheel, like when us Pac West R Gruppe guys head for Treffen every year. Days and days on the road in that loud car are much more pleasant that way.

On shorter drives I often wear foam ear plugs. I might be fooling myself, but I feel I actually hear things outside the car - like approaching sirens and such - better with them in, so I'm not overwhelmed by the white noise of the car.

I understand there might be some issues with legality. I have to say, however, that I don't really care. That won'r stop me. I justify this to myself with the notion that I spend a great deal of time on motorcycles as well, with my head inside a full faced helmet, surrounded by a good deal of wind noise. I feel I actually hear better in the car with either the headphones or the ear plugs. That, and being an avid rider, I've simply learned to look around a lot more, relying far more on what I can see over what I can hear.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."

Love your signature Jeff, I’m Irish and like Jameson.

Quote Originally Posted by ejboyd5 View Post
    If a Porsche is too loud for you, you are too old to be driving one.
    By the way, as a regular driver of fire trucks and ambulances, I can attest to the number of other drivers who are oblivious to our sirens and air horns because of their closed windows, operating air conditioning units and entertainment systems. I can only imagine how much worse the situation would be if noise cancelling headphones were allowed.
    Lemme make a couple of quick points... As for folks not hearing your sirens... most people are damn near comatose while driving. I am not and my scan includes the rear view mirrors every few seconds. I'll see you before I hear you anyway. As someone who has been around lots of loud music and construction equipment as a young guy and then aircraft since 1984, my ears just aren't what they used to be. I took hearing protection seriously as soon as I started flying but some damage had already been done. After 13 years of flying C-130s (loud as freakin balls!!) they were worse. Now in my 50s I am merely trying to save what's left. And hearing is a funny thing... I am way more sensitive to mechanical sounds... and especially changes in those sounds, then I am to voices. But something we haven't touched on here is the fact that exposure to loud noises also causes fatigue. I can tell you without question that I stay fresher, longer, if I wear hearing protection when driving. What kind of driving do I do? I just joined with a group of friends for a weekend of hard driving in West Virginia. Left Thursday morning and came home Sunday afternoon with about 900 new miles on the 911. I run Targa California, Targa Baja, Texas Hill Country Rally, Northeast Mountain Melees, etc, and have driven across the country to Rennsport... that kind of stuff. Soooo pretty sure I'm not too old...

Jeff... saw your comments about fatigue after I wrote this.
    Last edited by 767driver; 09-21-2020 at 12:28 PM.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

So I bought the Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones last week and tried them out on a 4-day driving weekend in West-By-God-Virginny this past weekend. A bunch of Porsche folk attended and we drove... hard. I put about 900 miles on the car and wore the head phones the entire time. Oh... My... God... what a world of difference!!! I can still hear the engine, just much quieter... but the road noise is basically gone. The wind rustling from the open windows does cause a small bit of noise and some minor electronic "clicking" which I assume is the algorithm having trouble trying to offset such random and rapidly changing sounds. But overall they were awesome! And being able to make or take a call was really nice. I also tried listening to some music on the highway portion of my trip and that worked great as well. They really helped keep fatigue in check too. I'll rate these things 9+ out of 10.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Anyone remember Ipod? got that and one of the first Bose noise cancelling headsets. Regular drives of 600-700 miles and they're a game changer. Starting out, it's all about the sound of the engine....for hours on end. (which is cool). But it's not until the headset goes on that I realize just how tired I was. Then...

....everything becomes new again.
    ‘87 911
    ‘66 304307
    S Registry #3791
    David Cate

I haven’t done anything more than 2 hours at a time in my car and at this point I am still listening to whistles and other noises to know what is normal and learn about tje car. But I can say that on all transatlantic or transpacific or transcontinental flights I wear either my Bose noise cancelling earbuds or headphones, even when I’m not watching a movie or listening to tunes. It makes a big difference in how tired you feel when you land. It also makes it a heck of a lot easier to carry on conversations with the flight attendant or your travelling companion.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    I haven’t done anything more than 2 hours at a time in my car and at this point I am still listening to whistles and other noises to know what is normal and learn about tje car. But I can say that on all transatlantic or transpacific or transcontinental flights I wear either my Bose noise cancelling earbuds or headphones, even when I’m not watching a movie or listening to tunes. It makes a big difference in how tired you feel when you land. It also makes it a heck of a lot easier to carry on conversations with the flight attendant or your travelling companion.
    Yup...I don't think most folks understand the fatigue/noise relationship. While I don't need noise cancelling headphones or even foam earplugs for a 30-mile jaunt on my local back roads, I have learned that the longer multi-hour drives without hearing protection are quite tiring. As for my flying... I have used the foam earplugs exclusively for the last 23 years of airline flying. I never invested in a noise cancelling aviation headset because everybody I fly with ends up pulling the muff off their ear on one side in order to converse. They then have one ear protected with an expensive headset while I have both ears protected with the foam plugs.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

East Coast

Cool

Since I just spent a weekend chasing Mr 767Driver through the mountains of WV. I can assure you, at his age, he can still drive the wheels off a 911 while wearing or not wearing a set of head phones ..the fact that the guy flys commercial jets for a living should have given you a clue that he is very dialed into the safety component of his choice.

“If a Porsche is too loud for you, you are too old to be driving one” but thanks for the tip

OG3
    RG715

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Since I just spent a weekend chasing Mr 767Driver through the mountains of WV. I can assure you, at his age, he can still drive the wheels off a 911 while wearing or not wearing a set of head phones ..the fact that the guy flys commercial jets for a living should have given you a clue that he is very dialed into the safety component of his choice.

“If a Porsche is too loud for you, you are too old to be driving one” but thanks for the tip
    You are too kind!!
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6