Thread: Bolts for trombone oil cooler

Bolts for trombone oil cooler

In browsing some pictures today I noticed both hex head and allen head for the M8x20 bolts that hold the trombone oil cooler in place in the front fender.
    Likewise for the screws that hold the oil line clamps in the front fender. Seen both types of heads in photos.

What's correct? Porsche just says "Pan head screw" in the parts manual for the trombone, but they do say hex head for the M6 bolts for those rubber/steel clamps in the fender.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Seen both, but I think allen head more common,,,,if no one has been there before!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Allen head for the 8mm's and hex head for the 6mm's , I've never seen allen heads for the oil line clamps . You know , the parts book specifies hex head bolts for the rear bumper to body brackets . but I've never seen anything but allen heads on unmolested cars . Kind of a telltale that a restorer is unfamiliar with the cars and is following the parts book .

OK, thanks Ed and Richy. Richy, I have it exactly as you describe (including the bumper to body brackets). Was just curious about the differences I was seeing in some pictures of supposedly great restorations.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

My unmolested '65 has hex bolts for the rear bumper bracket so they probably started out using hex and changed to allen fairly quickly.