Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool bag question. Did the early 911 tool bags only come in black vinyl?

Tool bag question. Did the early 911 tool bags only come in black vinyl?

My early 65 911 tool bag is a beige vinyl on the outside of the tool bag. It looks identical as the black vinyl tool bags but with the beige on the outside just like on the inside. I’ve never seen another one with the beige on the outside so I thought I would ask.
    Thank you

What is the clasps mounting? Fold over metal tabs or other?

Does it have the clasp mount 1/2 moon shaped vinyl tabs?

Does it have any tool patterns - like the large imprint from the 912 generator wrench?

356 bags were made from single color vinyl, 911 had outer color (black) with another color inside (tan, cream, ivory or maroon).

A photo of your vinyl texture and the stitching may help.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Here is a picture Name:  image.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  106.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here is another picture Name:  image.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  99.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  127.1 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  98.5 KB

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Wonderful. It wasn't enough that we had to be concerned with several different black vinyl tool bags, now there's beige.

Any chance you could disclose your chassis number so the authenticity obsessed can know when this non-black swan event happened??
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

My car is 301077. Not 100% it is original with the car. It was in the trunk when I barn found the car.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by august676 View Post
    Here is a picture Name:  image.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  106.4 KB
    One of the rainbow of colors 356C/SC tool bags.
    Jim

Too many Porsches and one VW are starting to fill up my desert landscape.

https://www.instagram.com/1967s_307184s/

Thank you for the information. Curious if it was put in the car at the factory.

please forgive the participation of a non-scholar in this discussion, but i have always been interested in the difference between how things "should" work, versus how they "really" work. this thread tends to affirm a separate "really works" finding that i observed, myself, here in indiana.

the 'how things really work' story is that, a long time ago, i had occasion to visit the Porsche/VW dealer and got a tour of the parts inventory. on one of those shelves was a stack of 20 or more tool bags, which consumed a LOT of space. when i asked the manager about the stack of tool bags, he responded that they removed the tool bags from the cars when the cars were delivered to the dealer, and returned a tool bag to the car when it was sold. the manager indicated that this was the policy to prevent the tool bags from 'disappearing.'

the interesting fact (at least to me) was that the tool kits were not catalogue-matched to the car that they were assigned to by the factory. the sales manager simply had someone grab a bag and put it in the car at delivery to the customer.

as the Registry debate over tool bag authenticity has evolved in recent years, a lot of intellectual capital has been invested in the question of matching various iterations of tool bags with the cars of a particular era/year, based on the 'should' data from the factory.

i do not profess to know whether this particular Indiana dealer was the only one to employ this tool bag policy. but it has been absolutely clear, at least to me, that the policy which i observed meant that the 'should' tool bags were highly unlikely to remain with the car that the factory had matched.

at the time, i am not aware of anyone caring about the perfect match of the 'should be' tool bag and the 'really' tool bag.

but as this thread suggests, given the dealership practice that i observed, it is entirely possible that the 356 C/SC tool bag shown here was, in fact, "original" to the car, as delivered. and frankly, along the same lines, decades ago, there were several, old-timey, Indiana 356 owners who absolutely maintained that the factory's COA information on their cars did not match the reality of their car, as delivered. I recall several beers shared with Mike Robbins and others in which the 'factory errors' were enthusiastically debated.

of course, this little story doesn't alter the 'should be' scholarship very much. it just means that it is possible that a C/SC tool bag could have been delivered with a very early 911,and therefore it might well have been 'really' original to the car, even though the factory did not necessarily intend it to be that way.

i still respect the overall intent of the scholars, and the collectors, to reunite a 'should be' correct tool bag, with the car which the factory intended. i simply offer that it is also interesting to know how easily the 'intent' can be defeated by the 'practice' of convenience.

i will now return you to your regularly scheduled program....