Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help with my newly acquired ‘67 911S....

Need some help with my newly acquired ‘67 911S....

I recently acquired a 67' 911S to add to my collection. I absolutely love this car and have enjoyed driving it.

Name:  JPEG image.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  185.4 KB

After putting about 100 miles on her, I filled up the tank and noticed a pretty heavy gas smell in my garage. I checked the gas cap and couldn't find any obvious leaks.
    However, I noticed that the fuel venting hose coming out of the gas tank doesn't hook up to anything? I'm guessing this is the source of the heavy gas smell.

Does the 67' have a fuel venting system? My car does not have the charcoal canister or any of the plumbing.
    i was hoping someone could shed some light on this and point me in the right direction.

if anyone has the parts I need to help complete this project or can recommend a shop in the Orange County, CA area... i would greatly appreciate it!

Thank in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

You're missing a lot of the venting plumbing,,,,however in the end those cars did vent overboard,,,no charcoal cannister. If no one else does I'll add some pictures tomorrow. It never ceases to amaze me how some people build cars!
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Take a look at this thread on the subject...
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=swb+tank+vent

Thread on vent hose... https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...llow+fuel+vent

Looks like you will need item # 61-67. The two original hoses may have been of a clear plastic material and it yellowed with age. I believe I have item # 63 & 65...maybe some yellow tube also. I'll post as soon as I can find them.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    You're missing a lot of the venting plumbing,,,,however in the end those cars did vent overboard,,,no charcoal cannister. If no one else does I'll add some pictures tomorrow. It never ceases to amaze me how some people build cars!

Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by 19-911-65 View Post
    Take a look at this thread on the subject...
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...=swb+tank+vent

Looks like you will need item # 61-67. The two original hoses may have been of a clear plastic material and it yellowed with age. I think McMaster-Carr has both the clear and light yellow fuel rated tubing. I'll have to look, I believe I have item # 63 & 65...maybe some yellow tube also. I'll post as soon as I can find them.

Glenn
    Thanks Glenn!

OK....I found them. The yellow tubing I have was from/for a '72 and is too large. The tubing should clean up fine and the grommet is hard. It may or may not be able to be used??

Let me know if I can help you with these pieces.

Glenn
    Last edited by 19-911-65; 09-20-2020 at 11:06 PM.

What size is the correct yellow tubing? I may have some.

For 1973, 16 mm and 10 mm ID were the tubing sizes used. 2 mm wall thickness. 16 mm from the gas tank to the tank under the cowl. 10 mm to the fender tank and from the fuel filler overflow. Presumably those are similar in the older cars. The gas tank one is for sure.

These are very hard to find in clear metric fuel compatible sizes but McMaster-Carr has them.

5/8” and 3/8” can work as good substitutes. In any case you should also use the correct Norma clamps.
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 09-21-2020 at 10:26 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I used to buy the Yellow tubing from McMaster Carr. Would get a roll of it. Inexpensive and a perfect match.
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    apart from the missing parts mentioned above which you should install, each time I fill up (full) my tank, it smells gas until I put few miles on it.
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407