Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaning aluminum front tag

cleaning aluminum front tag

Has anyone had good results cleaning the corrosion of this aluminum tag. My only chance is to scrape the corrosion/ sand the perimeters smooth and polish. I am not very confident in the results...... any examples of a better approachName:  DSCN0727.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  46.4 KB.

When I painted my car last year I took it off and tumbled it in walnut shells. Came out nice.

great tip... i wills see if i can find some one to do that may be a juler?

ok....i will see if i can find someone that does that kind of stuff... may be a julel?

You can buy a small tumbler from Eastwood for less than $100 and use it for all sorts of polishing fun...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

that fits my budget... thanks

You might consider trying metal/aluminum polish...has worked to my full satisfaction on three of these plates...it will look very nice but still a bit of patina. Just depends on the end result you are looking for to match the 'finish' on the rest of your car.

Aluminum will self-anodize once polished and become dull over time, unless you clear coat or get it chemically clear anodized

Hi, use dish washing soap to remove the surface dirt. Then use lemon with salt and scrub the surface of your tag.
    Check out this website for car soap, it's in German but it is easily translated. https://www.meisterbob.de/autoshampoo-test/

As someone who does a lot of polishing (I’m a jewelry manufacturer) I would second the tumbler with walnut shells. I would also (if I was doing it) try the stainless steel pins, these should both remove loose aluminum caused by corrosion and polish as well. My key approach with these things is to never use a method that could damage whatever it is that I am attempting to polish. With the tumblers (Eastwood $100 units etc) I would expect to have to give it a few goes with different media before seeing a result. I would also be tempted to reattach the tag to a piece of hard plastic (or similar) to prevent it from getting out of shape in the tumbler. If the tag was in good shape (not corroded) I would also (cautiously) use a brush on a dremel with a medium grit polishing compound. The small bristle brushes won’t remove detail if used lightly ~ unlike a cloth polishing wheel if used to heavily... (I could go in but I’ll spare you all)