Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cleaning aluminum front tag

This is a great thread. Really appreciate the suggestions and expertise. Reminds me of a rime 30 years ago when I helped restore a certain RSR. The twin CD units needed cleaning and I spent hours with simichrome polish, rags and Q-tips cleaning those. Great memories.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Thanks 911T ... The stainless steel pins, Are they as described, Just the kind of pins you buy for sewing, holding goods together.... thanks ....,..P.S. ...........I appreciate the suggestion to attatch it to something ...
    Last edited by bob joyce; 09-27-2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: ex

Vapor or dry ice blasting might be options too.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

I first clean the surface with fine steel wool. The, if further cleaning necessary, I bead blast with clean glass bead under low pressure. Next, fine steel wool. End with clear coat.

Hi Bob - Here is the stainless steel media shot (pins) that we use in the tumblers... it’s available on Amazon by the pound.

Name:  66C1FBC0-AF27-4220-9F33-1F883DBF36DD.jpeg
Views: 370
Size:  16.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    Thanks 911T ... The stainless steel pins, Are they as described, Just the kind of pins you buy for sewing, holding goods together.... thanks ....,..P.S. ...........I appreciate the suggestion to attatch it to something ...

great.... thanks 911T.... i ordered a vibrating "tumbler' that comes with walnut shells. And ordered the shot pins from Amazon... thank you

I have had good results by running through the dishwasher.

I would try a method that does not entail removing the VIN plate.
    https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/...cation-numbers
    1364. Altering Or Removing Motor Vehicle Identification Numbers

Section 511(a) of Title 18 makes it a felony knowingly to remove, obliterate, tamper with, or alter an identification number for a road motor vehicle or a road motor vehicle part. Section 511(b) of Title 18 creates exceptions for certain persons who engage in lawful conduct that may result in removal or alteration of an identification number. The legislative history is abundantly clear that subsection (b) is not intended to create a loophole for the operators of "chop shops." See H.R.Rep. No. 1087 on H.R. 6257, 98th Congress, 2d Sess. 23-25 (1984).

Section 511(c) of Title 18 contains the definitions for "identification number," "motor vehicle," "motor vehicle demolisher," and "motor vehicle scrap processor." The term "identification number" means a number or symbol that is inscribed or affixed for purposes of identification under chapter 301 and Part C of subtitle VI of Title 49.

Title 49, Chapter 301 authorizes the Secretary of Transportation to promulgate motor vehicle safety standards. Pursuant to this authority, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 115-Vehicle Identification Number (49 C.F.R. §§ 571.115 and 565.1 to 565.5) requires public VIN numbers on road vehicles (passenger cars, multipurpose passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles). Part C of subtitle VI of Title 49 (49 U.S.C. § 33101 et seq.) authorizes the Secretary of Transportation to promulgate theft prevention (parts marking) standards. The parts marking regulations are set forth in 49 C.F.R. Part 541. The mandatory component identification requirement applies to certain high theft passenger car lines starting with model year 1987. In 1995, the theft prevention (parts marking) standard was expanded to include certain multipurpose passenger vehicles and certain non high theft lines beginning with model year 1997.

For a discussion of proving violations of 18 U.S.C. § 511, see this Manual at 1376.

Realize that it is generally illegal to remove and reattach a VIN plate, but it seems the law may allow it. I would check with your states laws before doing so.
    Would you feel comfortable buying a car advertised as numbers matching if you knew the plate had been reattached?
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    Would you feel comfortable buying a car advertised as numbers matching if you knew the plate had been reattached?
    I would be far more concerned if the matching chassis VIN stamps have been removed and reattached.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    Realize that it is generally illegal to remove and reattach a VIN plate
    It is NOT illegal to remove a VIN plate for repair, restoration, etc.

The OP is fine.