Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cleaning aluminum front tag

update to tag..... after about 8 hours of vibrating.... 5 hours walnut shells, 1hour shot pins, 2 hours combination walnut and shot pins..... I actually scratched off the corrosion that was above the surface elevation with a razer blade... I wonder if it makes a difference if the tag is facing up or down ... most of the time it was with tag face down in media.... i did not buy enough shot pins to "bury the tag in shot pins with tag face up.... obviously i am not finished with the process, just need to continue the process and adjust the media..... I cant blast the tag with soda or any thing else because it is to fragile on the edges...Name:  tumbler.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  67.4 KB
    Name:  tag2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  78.2 KB
    Last edited by bob joyce; 10-17-2020 at 09:49 AM. Reason: picture

Possibly mount the tag to a smaller part to keep it from wadding up, what you have looks pretty big, in using these at work the part it's self should be rolling / turning in the drum, large drums for large parts etc.
    Years ago it was a job dad had us do on the camper (No not airstream) to clean all aluminum trim we used something like aluma jelly or Naval jelly worked great, will try to find info on it, was pretty simple brush on maybe brush a bit then hose off with water.

Regards

Edit: looks like LockTite / Henkel now own this, I think I remember it as just Naval Jelly, but that now sounds like for rust steel & iron, aluma Jelly is separate product. Sounds bad for paint but as detached should be no problem. available at wallmart & others, may check my local ACE, I have a couple spares from long parted out cars. info from site pasted below.

About This Item

We aim to show you accurate product information. Manufacturers, suppliers and others provide what you see here, and we have not verified it. See our disclaimer

Loctite Aluminum Jelly Cleaner & Brightener Bottle 8 Oz Aluminum Oxidation RmvrCleans and brightens aluminum by removing the dull film caused by corrosion. Surface to be cleaned should be free of dirt, oil and grease. Apply liberally and allow to stand on surface up to 5 minutes. Wipe jelly off painted surfaces immediately. Rinse with clean water. Several applications may be needed for heavily corroded areas. Adheres to vertical surfaces such as screen doors, window screens and trim. 8 oz. (half pint).
    Last edited by Jerry L; 10-18-2020 at 10:16 AM.

Thanks Jerry.... the picture is deceiving ..... the tag is screwed to a piece of plastic the size of the tag... the foreground is my surf board bag (corduroy)

Thanks to E Sully for his "one L" commentary (post #16). The next two years of law school are strongly recommended before providing meaningful advice.

FYI. You need a LOT more media to allow the tumbler to perform effectively. I'm using a 4.75 gallon Thumler and was advised to fill the bowl to within a few inches of the top to get the required cyclonic effect.

This is the media I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With many media types (like walnut shells), you also need an additive as they will lose their effectiveness quicker than you think. I like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-TA-0480.../dp/B008PCU6F4

Just my $.02 in case it's helpful.

thanks for he tip .... That should help...

+1 on that advice,,,

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    FYI. You need a LOT more media to allow the tumbler to perform effectively. I'm using a 4.75 gallon Thumler and was advised to fill the bowl to within a few inches of the top to get the required cyclonic effect.

This is the media I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With many media types (like walnut shells), you also need an additive as they will lose their effectiveness quicker than you think. I like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Flitz-TA-0480.../dp/B008PCU6F4

Just my $.02 in case it's helpful.
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616