Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Numbers on the rear Electrical / Relay Panel for 911E 1970?

Numbers on the rear Electrical / Relay Panel for 911E 1970?

I´m going to restore the rear electrical panel (the enginge compartment electrical panel). I can see that it has had two numbers on it - the first number can not easily be read. The color is abraded. The second number is 6. I have seen several electrical panels with diffrents numbers on them. It looks like the numbers has been stamped with white color. The 700 mile '70S has the number 16 on it. https://www.flickr.com/photos/807244...7630169538658/
    I wonder if anyone knows the numbers used on a rear panel for a 911 E 1970 coupe (US spec) Any refererence pic would be very appriciated.

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 09-29-2020 at 02:58 AM.

Upon closer inspection of the panel, I saw that the remaining contour of the first digit is straight. The first number has therefore been number 1

Best Nick

In restoring my 1970 911E I have not found any evidence of numbers stamped or painted on the electrical panel. See photos taken during the disassembly of the car. The light coloring on the lower RHS of the panel was from paint peeling/chipping. Also, I do not recall seeing any numbers on any of the electrical panels in my stash of parts. I will take another look at my panel inventory and let you know if I find any with numbers.

Obliviously it was done on some cars as evidenced by the 700 mile '70S. I have not seen any myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I did find a couple with numbers. I would be interested to know what they mean.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

My best guess is so the line workers knew which relay panel went with what car, since there were different configurations. Both my 72's have stenciled numbers.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The numbers indicated the type of board , single or 2 stage rear window defrost , cold start relay , etc . If your car has a 2 stage rear window defrost set-up I think 16 is the correct number .
    This is the number on my US '70 S .

Richy,

My car has tinted glass (all around) with heated rear window 2-stage defrost. Any chance you could take a close up pic of the numbers on your relay board? That would be a great help. I need a good reference pic to be able to recreate the numbers correctly when restoring the relay board on my car.

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 10-04-2020 at 08:48 AM.

I have 2 stage defrost on my car, and as far as I can tell from this picture in 2012 during disassembly, it said 04. This is for a '73S. We believe the panel was original even though the VR had been replaced, because the whole thing had just been sprayed over with black paint and the original light ivory was behind it.

It's easy to reproduce this. I just found a good picture on the web (like one of Tom's 04 above), printed it at the right size and then cut out the shape of the numbers with a sharp scalpel to make a stencil and then just kissed it with a little white paint. Just a dusting.

Name:  IMG_1049[1].jpg
Views: 322
Size:  127.7 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Does anyone know the code?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

I’ve documented the following numbers used on diffrent panels: 03, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 16 and 42. And thx to Tom and Ravi now also 04

I'm also curious about what the codes mean.

Best Nick
    Last edited by Nicklasliljegren; 10-04-2020 at 04:01 AM.