Thread: A dilemma - advice please

A dilemma - advice please

Which way should I go?

I am in the early stages of a full restoration of a '69 911S Sports Purpose car which has early International Rally history in the hands of a privateer. It came with a fabulous spec, Nurbeurgring ratios, Hella spots etc and included Recaro Sports Seats.

My plan is to go back to the original as much as possible and end up with a fast road car for European trips etc (when one can).

When I got it, the interior had been 'updated' with a G-Series set of trim so I am starting from scratch on the seat front. I am not planning on buying an original set of Recaro S seats at circa $8k as the rest of the work is going to clean me out - and they are always something that can be swapped at a later date. I was planning on getting a set of repro ones which seem to look OK and would be correct for the car - and come with mountings etc.

BUT, I have just found through a friend of a friend, a set of 1973 ish RS Recaros - original seats, very genuine with a bit of patina. Not sure if they have bases and sliders and presumably I would need to get a tilt mechanism so there is some access to the rear seat area....They may even be affordable.

So, would they ruin an otherwise usable car because they are too hardcore - coming from a later car, would they be out of period with what I am trying to achieve or would they be the icing on the cake of what I hope to be a really cool machine???

What is the general concensus....

Matthew

Hi Matthew,
    what are RS Recaros.
    There isn't a seat that can be called RS Recaro as all Porsche seats (except Lollipops AFAIK) were made by Recaro at that time.
    So Comfort, Sport and Rallye with thumbscrew are recaros and were available for RS.
    But be aware there are loads of lookalike Thumbscrew seats out there that aren't genuine Recaros.

Thanks...thumbscrews sounds right.....they have those. I am sure they are genuine.....

there's a simple answer.
    If your jeans waist size is 32 and smaller and you're smaller than 180 cm go for them.
    If your jeans waist is 34 and larger and / or you're taller than 185 cm don't do it.
    If you're in between you'd need to to try out.

Sound advice....thanks for that.

I have a pair of affordable proper Recaro rally buckets if you want to do it once and do it right. Basketweave centers and grommets on back and bottom, second, non four foot version.

I found that the tilt mechanism is virtually unnecessary in real life -- anything you want to put back there (except maybe people) can be put there by reaching around and above the fixed seats.
    Jim

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Early S Registry #2359

1970 Porsche 911 Rally 2.4
    2018 Porsche Macan GTS