Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heel and toeing

Heel and toeing

Now that my gated shifter is dialled in and I'm getting used to the quirks of the 915 transmission, I've another question for the experts. I've been trying to improve my heel and toe technique on the downshifts, with limited success. I really need to dip into the throttle to get the rev matching blip that I want. Looking at the easy part of the throttle chain first, I see this situation at the transmission bell crank.

Name:  IMG_1604.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  69.1 KB

I need to move the ball cup forward by about 1/2" to 5/8" in order to get the bell crank pin to start to pull on the loop of the long engine throttle rod that goes up to the MFI. That's a lot of slack I feel. All bushings are new and everything moves perfectly. No slop in the line from the pedal to the ball cup at the transmission and no slop from the solid long throttle rod to the mfi. Just a very modest pull on the latter and you can hear the decel switch for the MFI click as the cross-rod comes off its stop. The only slack is in that bell crank pin having to travel so far to engage the end of the loop.

The pedal has the nylon stop on the pedal board screwed all the way down to the pedal board. When the accelerator pedal is pushed all the way down to this stop, it does appear that the throttle plates are fully open as best as I can tell by eye. Without the nylon stop, it's clear that they over rotate a touch.

Where should I be looking to adjust this so that throttle pedal actuation is more direct? There is only about 1/8" of adjustability remaining on the ball cup connection if I unsnug the lock nut and rotate it in some more to shorten it. Not nearly enough in my mind.

I think I read somewhere that the bell crank arm that connects to the long throttle rod should be at 90 degrees to the ground, and mine is clearly not. Does that mean I need to shorten some links on the pedal side as opposed to the engine side?

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 10-03-2020 at 07:42 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Possibly the return stop on the pedal box is bent back, should be at 90 deg. to the car centerline.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    FTC. Full throttle check. The injection pump has has the throttle stop built in. Looks like you need to take up slack by tightening all ball cups, three that come to mind.

Also consider the possibility that your brake pedal is too high. There are many possible causes of that. Heel-toeing an early 911 should be super-easy.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Thanks for the quick replies all. Good point on the pump stop Gordon. I forgot about that and pulled the air cleaner to check things. Thankful for all the experts here.

I got the Pneumovax 23 vaccine two days ago and although the low grade fever disappeared in a day, my left arm is so sore I won't be doing anything this weekend! But it looks like I need to concentrate on the pedal side of the bell crank.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I spent quite a few hours working on this and still don't have it perfect (decided to use the summer for driving and the winter for further improvements). If you have full throttle, you're already good and you can take out a little slack. Having the bell crank on the transmission slightly upwards is good since this will give you more pull on the diagonal rod (otherwise you might lose full throttle). So I would leave this alone, and try to make the diagonal rod a little shorter. Note that it has two adjustments, one on the bottom and one on the top. You can also shorten the horizontal rod on top of the engine (this is the easiest one). You must check this with the engine hot; I noticed that it will tighten up a little bit when warm.

A completely different approach is to shorten the rod at the pedal a bit; this will make the bell crank more like 90 degrees but if you still get full throttle that's OK. In my experience, getting full throttle is the hard part (I'm 95% there). Taking out a little bit of extra slack should be easier.

In both cases you'll need to slightly unscrew the nylon stop at the bottom of the pedal.

Note: all of the above applies only if the stop at the pedal is not bent like Ed mentioned.

Whether all this will make it easier to heel and toe is debatable.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

Just thought about it some more and I think you should really start at the pedal end and check whether the pedal is touching the small stop, that the stop is perpendicular and that it has the little rubber band. That's your baseline and then you take out the slack from there.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

I’ve never learned to heel/toe. But the brake pedal bugged me. As I have 2 brake pedals I figured cutting one down was worth a try. So I had it shortened 1 1/4 inches. It works well for me.
    I also personalized one of my shifters. The bend in the tube was increased so the shifter sits one more inch further towards the rear of the car.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 10-05-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Just thought about it some more and I think you should really start at the pedal end and check whether the pedal is touching the small stop, that the stop is perpendicular and that it has the little rubber band. That's your baseline and then you take out the slack from there.
    Logical way to start eliminating the too much play in the throttle linkage ..... question: Is there supposed to be any amount of play?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

I adjust for no slop,,,of course there will be some, but when you press pedal there is instant response.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.