Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my 1970 hotrod

Rebuilding my 1970 hotrod

hey guys, I'm a bit late in starting this thread since the work has already begun, but better late than never to start documenting the project! I bought this car about 18 months ago from the East Coast and brought it out to California. it was a pretty nice car overall--owned by a PCA club racer who took very good care of it--but it started off Sepia Brown then had been repainted in its current shade in the '90s. the suspension is fairly stiff since it was set up for some track use, but on the mountain roads around me, the benefits of the stiffer setup have definitely outweighed the occasional roughness. the 2.7 engine (RS pistons/cylinders, Webers, "early S" cam) was recently rebuilt by Automobile Associates and made the car incredibly fun to drive while I thought about whether to keep it as is or to make significant changes.
    Name:  IMG_4153.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  173.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_4844.jpg
Views: 1792
Size:  144.4 KB

after enjoying it for about a year with some small updates here and there, I decided to dive in and do a pretty big re-work of the car starting with a full repaint. so down the rabbit hole I went!

I wanted to learn about the car, so I started taking it apart myself. I'll just admit that disassembly took me a long time working on the car when I had spare time on weekends/evenings. still, it was pretty interesting to see how everything fits together, and I also got to spend lots of time with my two boys turning wrenches in the garage.
    Name:  IMG_5592.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  122.5 KB
    Name:  plenum_removal.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  93.6 KB

along the way, I found of number of areas that would clearly need attention--a questionable headlight bucket, a rusted-through rear seat bottom, a smuggler's box butchered in the name of a/c--but nothing catastrophic. still, based on everything I've read on here about all the issues that *can and probably will* exist underneath the surface, I was pretty sure that there would be more rust and more issues once the paint came off.
    Name:  IMG_5698.jpg
Views: 1802
Size:  148.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_5739.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  138.6 KB

after a few months of working on the car, I was ready to turn it over to a pro who could take the car down to bare metal, address the known and unknown defects and rust, and start rebuilding it the right way. so off it went to Scott Longballa and crew to really get the project moving! they've gotten started on the car, so more updates will be coming soon!
    Name:  IMG_5761.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  143.1 KB
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Scott’s the man. He will do it right.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Quote Originally Posted by NickP View Post
    Scott’s the man. He will do it right.
    Nick,

The write ups about your cars were part of the reason why I reached out to Scott! Can’t wait to see it progress now that it’s in his hands.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

So good to see your sons working on the car with you!
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

Cool, what color?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Scott’s work is amazing, his attention to detail is on another level.
    Attachment 534519Attachment 534520
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by 72targa; 10-05-2020 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Photo adjustment

I don’t know why the pictures are upside down and sideways.

All set....
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by Ukusto View Post
    So good to see your sons working on the car with you!
    they've loved it! they like getting to use the tools on their own, but the rusty/frozen fasteners still give them (and me!) some trouble.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Quote Originally Posted by Cornpanzer View Post
    Cool, what color?
    Name:  IMG_5765.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  47.3 KB
    dalmatian :-)
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7