Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my 1970 hotrod

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    But generally they're not flat, there is a little bend to them which could tend to push the window further to the rear.
    I see...thanks Ed. I'll give it a shot.

I kept plugging away at things today. although not all that big of an achievement (to be quite honest), getting the covers onto the many wiring tabs in the trunk makes it feel like things have moved much closer to the finish line with the wiring reinstallation. a little more cleanup on the harness & connectors, then it should be ready to be secured permanently.
    Name:  IMG_6689.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  131.6 KB

with some new hardware in hand, I also got the door sill trim installed on both sides (door seals are just resting in place, not actually installed). my kids now say it looks like a car again!
    Name:  IMG_6692.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  127.8 KB

small progress, but progress nonetheless!
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

It's the little details that make these cars so great....just like the wire tab covers.
    Some people just neglect to replace them before installing the wiring harness.
    Big no no to me.

Your car is looking super.
    Little steps will get you there.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Except 911R’s, too much weight. G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

lots of additional progress these days!

I wanted to get the gauges and gauge wiring in place, so I enlisted a helper with small hands to help sort out all the details.
    Name:  IMG_6746.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  102.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6748.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  104.1 KB

while working on this, I also added the Kroon dash light fuse. from my reading of the wiring diagram, installing the fuse like this should make both the ashtray light (blue/black wire) and gauge lights (purple/black wire) fused since they both attach to a single terminal on the headlight switch, but I'd gladly accept pointers if there's a different/better configuration needed.
    Name:  IMG_6774.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  97.4 KB

a bunch of newly refinished parts also showed up from the chrome shop. it took about 3mo from drop off to delivery, but the quality appears to be great.

Name:  IMG_6768.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  138.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_6769.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  139.2 KB

lastly, with some minor adjustments completed on the window frame, I could finally install the passenger side door panel. I'm now pretty close to having a car with windows that can be closed and sealed again! :-)

Name:  IMG_6775.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  231.4 KB
    Last edited by Lz7w; 10-20-2021 at 08:50 AM.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Looking really great !
    1968 911L Coupe - Golden Green
    1971 911S Coupe - Gemini Blue
    1973 911S Targa - Signal Yellow
    1974 914 2.3 - Sunflower Yellow

Looking great and quite the journey. Any updates to share?
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus View Post
    Looking great and quite the journey. Any updates to share?
    making progress! but I always seem to put off updating the thread (in part because getting the pictures sorted always takes some time). on to the updates:

one of my horns was cracked, so Steve Silva very graciously gave me a set of Hella horns that he wasn't going to use (thanks Steve!). I'll probably move this horn to a slightly different spot so it's a little higher behind the bumper. Cayley (Torch) also helped me out by powdercoating the oil tank clamp so it looks nice again (thanks Cayley!).
    Name:  IMG_6858.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  46.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_6805.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  76.5 KB

I also put on the refinished deep six wheels with new Avons.
    Name:  IMG_6839.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  112.6 KB

and after many months of sitting in a box, these PMB-restored S calipers are finally on the car! these are big visual upgrade from the SC calipers that were on the car before. I hadn't realized that the line fitment is different between these calipers though, so I had a last-minute scramble to get the banjo bolts, fittings, and sealing washers so I could finish this install before the Thanksgiving holiday.
    Name:  IMG_6865.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  53.5 KB

next, I moved onto the fuel filler area: the rubber fuel filler neck was a little tricky to get in place, but with a little persuasion, I got it (and the metal circlip) seated. the fuel door and metal filler tube were next, and with those pieces installed, it's starting to look more finished. based on some posts here, I used dawn soap on the inside of the rubber neck and on the end of the filler tube, and after a little twisting, it went right in. I still need to get the new pull cable installed before I can call this part of the car finished (and this looks a little tricky!).

Name:  IMG_6867.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  98.2 KB

coming back to something from before, I got the quarter windows and replated latches installed. I ended up redoing the windows with the factory seals (I ordered them mainly to see if there was a fitment difference), and with the latches in the closed position, the window/seals are very tight to the pillar (no gaps). honestly though, I think the others seals would have fit fine as well with the adjustments pointed out by others. putting holes in the new headliner was definitely a bit nerve-wracking at first, but it looks great now.
    Name:  IMG_6868.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  104.3 KBName:  IMG_6772.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  66.5 KB

I don't have a picture of it, but I also put the restored pedal cluster into the car. Bruce S does some fantastic work, and it's quite a difference when I look at pictures of my old, crusty pedal assembly that came out of the car.

I'm waiting on a bunch of miscellaneous parts right now, but hopefully the oil cooler lines, brake reservoir lines, and fuel vent hoses will all be back in place shortly! I also have to finish tidying up the harness in the trunk, but after that, I *think* I'm relatively close to having the car driveable again!
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

CSF "carrera" oil cooler is now installed (what a pain to get the lines lined up...). fitment of the oil cooler was excellent and the quality of the cooler itself looks great.
    Name:  oil-cooler-installed.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  137.2 KB

it's nice to have a sideview mirror again. it was refinished along with some other parts and now has a convex mirror glass installed and even rotates (thanks to a soak in marvel mystery oil), so it might actually be useful.
    Name:  durant-installed.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  90.1 KB

and with the dust washed off, the blue is really vivid in the light!
    Name:  rear-nogrille .jpg
Views: 448
Size:  86.2 KB
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7

Looking good Nikhil! You're further along than I though you'd be at this point. It's getting to the fun stage for sure.
    72S, 72T now ST

thanks, Scott! it's definitely coming along now.

it was a crazy month at work, so things have gone a bit slowly as of late. I've also been spinning my wheels a little chasing down random wiring/wiring issues with the help of the detailed wiring diagram:
    - fixed the hacked up ground for the flasher relay in the trunk
    - hooked up the door switch wires. I didn't see many pictures of exactly how these should be routed from the trunk out to the door jamb, so hopefully this picture helps someone searching in the future (notice that the grommet to the door jamb is pretty close to the door opening. the wire ends up making a shape like '7' when feeding from the interior to the door jamb. disregard how the wire enters the dash area in this picture, since I think it's actually supposed to go through the smaller hole in the trunk).
    Name:  door_switch_routing.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  60.7 KB

- tracked down a 'loose wire' that I didn't recall from my disassembly: for future reference/search purposes, the buzzer relay mounts to the passenger side corner under the dash, and one end of the harness goes to terminals on the ignition switch, and the other end goes up to the trunk through a grommet. here's how I have it wired in the trunk...the black/brown connect to the main harness behind the gauges, and the interior light wires that come down the passenger-side A-pillar
    Name:  door_switch_wiring.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  64.0 KB

- finally, I tracked down what I think is an unused wire for the sporto transmission. so for my manual car, I think the brown-white wire doesn't actually connect to anything on my car (the wire runs from behind the pedal cluster up to the trunk along with the fuel level sender and fuel pump wires). if I'm wrong about this, I'd appreciate any pointers from folks!
    Name:  sporto_wire.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  87.9 KB

I also got a few parts back from the local cerakote shop: they did my engine grille, front cowl vent, and trans coupler cover in glacier black cerakote. the finish looks awesome and should accent the blue paint well. (I'm still working on the trim that goes around the engine lid..so to be continued on that item...)
    Name:  cerakote_engine_grille.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  160.2 KB

the pedal cluster is also back in the car, but I realized (too late) that I'm missing the dust boot that goes over the plunger, so I'll have to re-do that pretty soon :facepalm:

it's getting very close now! merry christmas everyone!
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7