Thread: Gasket For Block-off Cap

Gasket For Block-off Cap

Hi
    It's my understanding a replacement gasket or seal for the anti-roll bar block-off cap PN 901-343-765-00 is NLA. I'll probably have to just bodge one (or more) up. I need a suggestion for a suitable replacement material given its rather hostile environment. The caps were originally installed (very un-factory-like it seemed) with a mass of some tar like substance which just crumbled into fragments upon dis-assembly. Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated
    Thanks & Cheers
    JB
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

I just looked at the two I have. It looks like some type of thin plastic ( or what they have evolved to look like) or similar with the sprayed on undercoating around the edges! I would think, just about anything close would work. Just use some gasket sealer to keep moisture out. cliff
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Thanks Cliff - I guess my next move is off to the FLAPS
    Cheers
    JB
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Those are homemade covers , I don't think there was a gasket for the originals .

Hawkeye, I have some from early 912's that did not come with the front sway bar, they are solid front / no hole for a sway bar and used what looks like cork for the gasket. If seeing your pic correctly yours have a thru hole for the sway bar. will post a pic a bit later, the gasket was cut round and yes the regular undercoating Shultz.
    I know I have a couple sets maybe more you are welcome to a set if you would like one.

Best Regards

Edit: pics attached
    Ok in looking at the pic above I was wrong in thinking it had the cover in it, pics below are from a 68 I parted out yrs ago, my late 65 build 912 coupe did come with a front sway bar before the bean counters omitted them from the lowely 912, now running a 19mm F & 16mm R. I still think this is a round cork gasket maybe .090 or .120 thick cut slightly larger than a diameter that would be larger than the 3 points of the cover.

Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Jerry L; 10-16-2020 at 09:01 AM.

Post two above, came of a 68 Karmann 912......They appear to be a factory part too....
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Hi Guys
    Thanks for your input. I have recently been given access to some 6mm thick butyl sheet 'rubber' which when cut to suit & coupled with an appropriate sealer, could be the the cheapest & most efficient solution. After conversations with some buddies & your thoughts, I feel this would be my best approach as all appears to be a relatively straight forward undertaking.
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    JB