Thread: Door hinge pin color clear zinc or yellow zinc for a early 69 row?

Door hinge pin color clear zinc or yellow zinc for a early 69 row?

Hi guys any idea what the colour of the door hinge pin is it clear zinc or yellow zinc for a early 69 row?

thanks jonny

clear zinc
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Someone just told me yellow zinc today .... hahah I love this game !! Thank you ed . Apparently you only really know once the pins are knocked out .

i also would say clear...here`s a pick of a first paint 69 #291 so kind of early...but hard to tell if it`s clear or faded yellow
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Here's an original 1969 Karmann Coupe. You tell me what the finish is.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

not sure what you guys are seeing but i see faded yellow

18k mile very original 69S.
    Clear zinc

Name:  DSCN0170.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  56.1 KB
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

Just looked and all 3 of my '69 cars are clear zinc as Ed said.

Not an answer to the question, but after 50 years of air exposure, yellow zinc (or cadmium) looks like clear zinc because the yellow chromate has sacrificed as intended. This is why people make the mistake of replating their old Ate calipers in clear zinc (they are convinced they were this way from the factory) when in fact Ate always used yellow chromate in the process. From most of the photos provided above all I see is rust or grunge, not evidence of clear vs yellow. What color is under the triple square factory hinge bolts in a 69? Again, I'm not arguing these bolts were NOT clear zinc (or cadmium), I'm just suggesting that assessing original color of a sacrificial coating after it has been in service for 50 years might be inconclusive, unless a section not exposed can be examined. So a logical follow-up question would be when DID these bolts change to #2 zinc (yellow iridescent) if not so in 1969?

Clear zink on the 700 mile 70 S

Best Nick