Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Targa emblem on hoop, correct color

As above, I have a 71 with the M470. My 911T script had the fading problem so optically is is silver, but the targa script is also silver. I have taken off the 911T and it’s back was gold. You can search the board and see that it was a common problem for this vintage to have the model number gold age into silver as the anodizing or whatever wears off with time. I have not taken off the targa script to see if it too was gold.

I would love to get confirmation from the experts on whether or not the M470 included gold targa script. I would assume the non-M470 cars were silver all-around. Thus, pre-73, the default was silver and you had to pay extra to have gold.

I also have both the 70-71 and ‘73 spare parts catalogs in my garage, so can look and see what colors they offered. Off the top of my head, if you are looking at workshop manuals and spare parts that are inclusive of ‘73 MY, it doesn’t cover the 69-71 vagaries consistently.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

HI Rick,

I am guessing if your engine lid script/emblems were gold that the Targa script was too. All the 71s I have found had gold targa script. I am keen to see what color the script was if you didn't have the gold option.....

If anyone has a original/old parts catalog, it would be interesting to see what is listed. The new one only states black or gold.

Thanks!

Just to sort of wrap up on this (though the punchline is there is no clear answer on the targa script matching the rear deck script color):

'71 cars, the only choice is chrome or gold, '72 and '73 cars, the only choice is black. Below are screen shots of the '71 model year parts catalog, I confirmed in my '72-'73 catalog that the same pages list only a black option for the numbers - I'm not posting those pictures, happy to if someone wants them...apologies for being lazy and not rotating the photos.

The targa emblem - 901.559.307.40 - does not have an associated color and there is only that part number

Attachment 535669

Attachment 535670

The deck lid has the choice of either gold or chrome.

Name:  page2.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  55.3 KB

Name:  page3.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  85.7 KB

So in sum, no black lettering on a '71, Either gold or chrome.

Could someone confirm whether the targa script was gold in the M470 package?
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for the info!

In the parts catalog I have for a 71 there is only a old part number for the gold;

Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 198
Size:  62.7 KB

There are however gold or chrome options for the rear script/emblem;

Name:  Picture 2.png
Views: 181
Size:  75.0 KB

Stoddard has them listed as follows;

Name:  Picture 3.png
Views: 187
Size:  177.2 KB

I cant locate a chrome one for sale, and haven't yet been able to find any photos of cars with chrome side targa script?

Maybe they were all gold up till 72?

Has anyone ever seen an original silver/chrome one?

Yes, I’ve said repeatedly above that I have silver/chrome.

Name:  0101F5DA-E12F-404C-9622-5C911083147E.jpeg
Views: 165
Size:  77.7 KB
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Thanks Rick!

You mentioned that you had the Gold Option, including a gold rear 911T emblem (albeit faded to silver), and had not checked if the side emblem was also faded. It is my understanding and observation that gold optioned cars always had gold on the rear and side, I could easily be wrong....

My question is, has anyone seen silver/chrome, on the side script, from new?

Thanks!

has anyone seen silver/chrome, on the side script, from new?

Thanks!

If nobody has ever seen a silver targa side script, maybe they were all gold????

I have searching high and low for photos of original as delivered cars, they all seem to be gold.... if nobody has any more info? I can only presume that they were all gold at delivery....