Thread: Vintage siren alarm

Vintage siren alarm

How many of you have one of these in your car?

How many of you have seen one of these?

This is a siren... that was wired in the back of the car... Which was an early car alarm.
    It would go off till your battery was dead.
    About 1973, they became illegal. Most likely because it was imitating the police or fire.

It was wired into the door/light switches, and an extra push switch drilled into the back slam plate. Under the engine lid. (i removed mine and welded the hole closed)

I was introduced to this alarm with my father's car from new. He would walk to the back of the car every time he parked the car, turn the key on the bumperette.
    Then, when he came back to the car, he would have to remember to turn it to "off" position, before opening the door.

He would often turn it on to entertain the children in the neighborhood.

This is one that came in my car. The previous owner asked what it was. He removed it thinking it was causing the car not to start.

I am going to reinstall it in the car... But hook it up directly to the bumperette key. Just for entertaining.

Name:  3AA4DE0E-5FBF-45C9-BE47-119B8A42FB3C.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  83.4 KB

Name:  48AF0132-8650-4D19-BD8A-FAB43652AD63.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  118.4 KB

It would go off if you opened the door. But go off if you closed the door.
    Once, around 1976, my little brother pulled on the door of a Porsche at the dentist.... and off it went.

I have seen a 'sold new' Long Beach, California car with one...and 500 miles away a car sold new near San Francisco or Stockton, California.
    Last edited by Scott A; 12-30-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Never seen anything like it. Thanks for sharing

I have seen a few of these but with different horn. There was a system called “ungo” or “ungo box” meaning not going. The key in the bumperette was the dead giveaway. Mine had sirens made out of loud speakers - no rotary. Just like car alarms in the 80-90s they were worthless at stopping a thief. I must have thrown 3 or 4 systems in the trash, I put one on eBay for a year and no takers so in the trash.

Interesting - for the changes Porsche made to the body in mid 1973 they added the pads to mount the deck lid switch on. I was told that they did this to offer car alarm systems at dealerships but I have never seen any official car alarms offered back in the day.

About the same week that my dad bought his car, (with this dealership installed alarm)
    One sunny southern California day, in Long Beach, the alarm/siren went off outside the dealership.
    Someone ran out to check it out, and then a guy, breaking into the car, jumped up and shot the good guy.

So in the end the alarm favored the thief.
    Last edited by Scott A; 12-30-2021 at 02:12 PM.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I’ve seen the switch in that location on some RHD as a legacy of old install but think the rest of the alarm had been decommissioned and probably removed by time I was seeing them.

My early RHD RS has a “plunger” in that left rear slam located on but no other alarm components; car precedes the raised square area. The plunger switch remains

I have it on my car too and I always wondered what that switch is for...The rest of the system is already removed. In the 90s a VDO "Immobilizer" system was installed. So I guess it has been removed at that time, but the switch is still there. The car is a 911 US 1968 (VW Pacific, Culver City, California initially delivered to a guy called Karl C. Danti from Los Angeles).
    Could this system be specific for a special Porsche dealer?
    Thank you and best regards
    Philipp
    Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-29 um 20.36.28.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  88.5 KB
    Last edited by philipp79; 12-29-2021 at 10:38 AM.