Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brighter instrument gauge lights

Brighter instrument gauge lights

The original 2w bulbs seem to be getting dimmer and dimmer every year. Could it be my eyes are getting worse every year?
    I know yes it's the later.
    So does anyone know of a solution, other than Super Bright LED's, that are brighter but not so blue in color. I asked the folks over at SuperBrightLEDsInc@livehelpnow.net if they offered them in warm white or 3000k. Unfortunately they do not offer any less bright in the instrument lights for our cars.

What about standard 4w bulbs? I think they are available but are they too hot for guages?

So, 2w may be too dim for my old eyes.
    LED's are too bright blue.

Any suggestions?

Rich

The real answer isn’t entirely about the light bulbs. There’s a white/reflective ring inside each gauge housing, it’s job is to gather and disperse the light from the bulbs and provide a nice even cast of light across the gauge.

That ring has likely deteriorated and lost its reflective coat so now you are getting a fraction of the light.

A brighter bulb can provide a band-aid fix but if you want the gauges to look like they did in the 70’s you should plan on taking apart your gauges and cleaning things up. And recoating that ring.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Also you should make sure your light intensity is on full power on your light switch (it turns left/right, which increases the light intensity/dimming) and maybe you inadvertently dimmed the lights?

I've used 6v bulbs and it works great. Dial it down a bit to avoid burn out. Keep extras in the glove box.

Now that's something I didn't know for sure. Do you know what the 'coating' is?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by blucille View Post
    The real answer isn’t entirely about the light bulbs. There’s a white/reflective ring inside each gauge housing, it’s job is to gather and disperse the light from the bulbs and provide a nice even cast of light across the gauge.

That ring has likely deteriorated and lost its reflective coat so now you are getting a fraction of the light.

A brighter bulb can provide a band-aid fix but if you want the gauges to look like they did in the 70’s you should plan on taking apart your gauges and cleaning things up. And recoating that ring.

Thanks, currently I have LED's in the guages. I can dim them slightly but still get the bluish LED.
    Quote Originally Posted by mathieulecomte View Post
    Also you should make sure your light intensity is on full power on your light switch (it turns left/right, which increases the light intensity/dimming) and maybe you inadvertently dimmed the lights?

Sorry i didn't make it more clear. The previous owner installed LED's and I'm looking to change to bright looking more original and vintage than the bluish LED.

Quote Originally Posted by rattlecan View Post
    Thanks, currently I have LED's in the guages. I can dim them slightly but still get the bluish LED.

Carmagic offers a warm white LED gauge light kit for our cars. Well thought out and looks vintage but brighter.

http://carmagic.us/

Here’s a great video about rebuilding gauges and the white painted ring....

https://youtu.be/c4GijwVyV6E
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Quote Originally Posted by targatuesday View Post
    Carmagic offers a warm white LED gauge light kit for our cars. Well thought out and looks vintage but brighter.

http://carmagic.us/
    + 1 for carmagic...great products and great seller