Thread: Fuel Leak?

Fuel Leak?

Has anyone ever experienced an intermittent fuel leak in an early car?

I started her on Monday and backed out of the garage. When I looked back I saw a puddle. I left the car idling in the driveway to check out the garage. It was in the rear left and smelled like fuel. When I got back to the car, it was leaking there too. I pulled back in and had the car flatbedded to my shop on Tuesday.

Since then, they have had it three days and have yet to find anything wrong. Nothing at night, nothing on start, nothing during or after driving. They checked the lines and said they look new when the motor was rebuilt 2,000 miles ago. The pump was dry and had no evidence of a leak.

I am stumped as to what this could be. I am about to get the car ready for her winter slumber and don’t want to put her away with any issues. Any ideas?
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

Fiber washers have a tendency to swell once fuel has passed soaked them, especially after long periods without use.

Are you running carbs? Check the left carbs banjo..
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Yes, this is a Euro 72T so it is running Weber’s. It did sit for about a week and a half before we cranked it Monday. That’s the longest it has sat since Spring.
    S Registry #1229
    1972 Light Yellow 911T (RS look currently, ST replica coming)
    1984 Black/Black RoW 930 Turbo
    2004 Black/Black 996 GT3
    1971 Metallic Blue 911T Sunroof Coupe
    2007 Atlas Grey Cayman S (My First)

Check in the left rear where the soft lines crimp to the hard lines. Sometimes those crimps on tje soft hose collars can be less than perfect. I jad an intermittent leak from one and had to get it recrimped (at my local John Deere dealer who is 2 km from the house!).
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK