Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for replacement mirror glass

Source for replacement mirror glass

Looking to replace just the mirror glass in my ‘72 side mirror (small flag). I would appreciate an leads on where I can get one.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Hi Bill,

Try your local glass shop, they need to cut them by hand and file of the edge. You will probably not find the same thickness of glass (3mm), only thinner or thicker. I have a couple of original glasses but they need to be re-silvered and have not been able to find a shop that does it for a reasonable price. I was quoted 200€ for 4 pieces!

Good luck,

Cees

Hello Bill,
    I've just had to do this on my own '72. I'm in the UK. Eventually I found a place in London. Excellent service, but I'm not sure it will help you assuming you are in the US. I can share my template if it helps, eg- if your glass smashed (as mine did).
    Dave

Thanks for the responses! My mirror isn’t cracked, but needs to be re-silvered. I will do some local research with glass shops.
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

I had glass resilvered by a vendor who advertised on Hemings Motor News. Reasonable and good work. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by 30westrob View Post
    I had glass resilvered by a vendor who advertised on Hemings Motor News. Reasonable and good work. Rob
    Very helpful lead - I’ll look into it.

Another question - how do you remove the glass from the mirror? Is it as simple as carefully prying it out? There is a black plastic trim surrounding the glass - not sure if that is what secures the glass? That plastic/rubber could be replaced on mine if it is available - it is showing age.
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa

I pried tha glass out using a flexible flat blade tool called a spatula. I do not believe the plastic insert is available as a separate part. Rob

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    If you manage to find that company, please do share. Plastic seal is not available new. Be careful with the fexible blade tool, easy to damage the seal and 90% change you will brake the glass. Good luck.

Cees

Hi I have just ordered convex mirror glass from eBay in the uk 120mm x2mm There are a variety of sizes available. Plan to back the mirror with adhesive silicone sheet to get the right thickness.

Good luck, Rich
    Rich
    68 911S
    mbr. 2393

Just thought I would circle back on this - I ended up finding a local glass shop to help. They recommended buying a mirror replacement from an auto pats store and bringing it to them to cut to size. I bought an $11 mirror piece from auto parts store and they charged $10 to cut. Good enough for me!
    Bill

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa