Thread: late 901 trans into SWB car help

late 901 trans into SWB car help

I went through something similar about 2 years ago with my '66. this go round has a twist.
    the car is a '68 w/ 90mm CV joints. it came to the current owner w/ a 4-speed trans.
    I supplied two core 5-speed transaxles which the owner sent out to be rebuilt. (ie; use the best of both and build one)
    one is a 901/13 type MAG case. the other is a 914/01 ALU case. the owner did not specify to his builder that the rebuilt unit was going into a SWB car. both supplied candidates have the later 100mm output flanges. the flange mismatch was discovered attempting to install the rebuilt trans and the axles. I guessed (hoped) that the 90mm flanges from the 4-speed could be installed on the rebuilt trans and all would be happy.
    not so.
    input appreciated.
    84102 purchased in '85 FINALLY started driving it (2/2015)
    '73 911T original paint sunroof coupe waiting in the wings
    3 gauge Holbert 912... now for something completely different
    1940 Mercury town sedan

I race with a late 901 in a SWB car. I use 914 flanges on the tranny. I think that will work for you. I turned bolt heads to simulate the roll pins.

thanks for your encouraging note.
    so... can you address the rest of the drive please ?

can we keep the original axles from the '68 ? will they accept 100mm (4 bolt 2 pin) CV joints ?
    1940 Mercury town sedan

Quote Originally Posted by typ901 View Post
    thanks for your encouraging note.
    so... can you address the rest of the drive please ?

can we keep the original axles from the '68 ? will they accept 100mm (4 bolt 2 pin) CV joints ?
    Jerry

What Sanders said is use 914 axle flanges in the mag case trans. 4 of the 6 bolts in the 68 axles will match up with the flanges and he made up pins for the other 2 bolts. I think you have a type in your description of the 2 transes. 914/01 ? What is the actual type?

Jim

thanks Jim;
    the case / trans that's currently installed in the car is so clean I couldn't clearly read the type stamping. plus trying to focus @ 6" away wasn't working well either. pretty sure the first part of the stamping is 914. no idea what Ron put inside. we got the MAG case, a box of parts and a built unit back. should D.B. want to work on the project this weekend I'll give it another shot.
    attached pic shows a flange from the rebuilt unit and one from the '68 4-speed which is about 10 - 12mm longer.

I have a spare set of 4 bolt/2pin axles. if we can mount 2 of those CVs on the '68 axles we may be good. there was speculation that the splines or axle diameter may not match. any axle *length* issue ?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1940 Mercury town sedan

I run a 914 trans in my 67 with stock axles. Here is something Tom Conway at Carquip in Boulder Colorado made for me. I have 15000 miles on these and they have worked well.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Can't remember for sure but I think there is a width dimension difference from flange seal/carrier brng to flange seal/carrier brng, sand cast v. mag case. I have used the 914 trans with 901 nose and 914 flanges is a SWB car without any machine work, other than turning 4 bolt heads to fit the pin holes. Or you can use 914 CV joints at the tranny end, with no machine work at all. Easy weekend job.
    Last edited by sanders; 10-29-2020 at 12:46 PM.