Thread: Speedi-sleeve for MFI cam drive

Speedi-sleeve for MFI cam drive

Looks like my oil leak at the cam seal for the MFI drive pulley is back. After a closer inspection, I think there is a nick in the seal surface on the cam shaft. I see that Stoddard has a Speedi-sleeve for this, but I suspect it is just a NAPA, National or Timken re-box. I'd rather pick one up locally instead of waiting for one to be shipped. When I put my ancient German-made non-digital micrometer on the end of the shaft, it reads 1.375", which is 34.925 mm. The 99139 part number in the brands above are to fit 1.375-1.381" (34.930-35.080 mm), the 99138 1.371-1.377" (34.820-34.980 mm).

Which is correct? If I trust my mike, I'd get the smaller 99138. But if the shaft is really 35.000 mm (as seems more German), I need the 99139.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

There is room for a second seal. Pop in another and see if that fixes your leak.

Quote Originally Posted by G69 View Post
    There is room for a second seal. Pop in another and see if that fixes your leak.
    Already tried that, still leaks with the second seal in place. Pretty sure I need to sleeve the shaft.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Do you know anyone with a set of pin gages or gage blocks? If you could test your caliper against one you could get a lot closer to the actual size. Even a good caliper is not guaranteed to be more than plus or minus a thousandth.
    Bill S

Calibrated digital calipers (2 different ones) measure between 35.008 and 35.013 mm. So I will pick up a 99139 sleeve tomorrow morning.
    - Arne

Quote Originally Posted by G69 View Post
    I'm not too sure about room for a second seal. I worry about blocking the oil flow. 2 seals lightly pressed together totals around 13mm and that's about the depth to the cam oil return on my 73 2.4S.
    For some reason my seal lip starts to leak after 3 to 400 miles even though i pressed it in 4mm from flush.
    Maybe I polished the cam too much but that's hard to believe because I used a ultra fine wet sandpaper.
    I ordered the " speedy sleeve " as Arne did and wondering if anyone else used this sleeve.

I used the sleeve noted above as well as 2 Viton-lipped oil seals. Completely cured my leak. I've got 2000 miles since then, totally drip-free.
    - Arne

Using 2 digital calipers my cam measures 35.02/35.04 so most likely it’s 35mm.
    I just received 2 Viton seals and I like the double lip and the rubber seems to grab the cam tighter than the OEM PORSCHE seal which I special ordered. The Viton seal is full 7 mm and Porsche only 6.92/6.94.
    The depth of the carrier from flust to cam measures 13.94/13.96 so it’s close to install 2 Porsche seals but the Viton will most likely block oil flow.
    Now I’m waiting for speedi sleeve.

I’m wondering because I grease the seal lip and cam that the grease is blocking oil flow to seal and the lip is burning after a few hundred miles.

Can you locate the seal a little deeper or less deep in its bore, so that the lip rides on an unscored section of the shaft? I do this as needed with transmission input shaft seals.

The purpose for the grease in the seal is to keep the gaiter from dislodging during installation. You can try either not using grease, or using a light grease in the hope that oil has less of an issue getting to the lip. I use a VW/Audi grease for this, actually repackaged LiquiMoly PU 35 / WDR grease, quite light as graded as NLGI 0-1.

The speedi sleeve with the flange is 16 mm deep so if I keep it 2 mm from hitting the cam( allowing oil flow)and keeping the seal off the sleeve flange but also inserting seal flush to carrier it’s only 1 mm clearance.
    About 7 mm of sleeve sticks out of cam carrier and does nothing.
    I looked into a wider seal but the lips are the same as the 7 mm Viton.
    Maybe I’ll try pushing the Viton seal in 4 mm from flush