Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dan Gurney

Jens! Hang in there buddy. Nice to see that your unMellow Yellow is getting exercised- and above all that you are enjoying. [Besides, they are never really finished.]

runsub5, I drove for Dan and All American Racers in the 80's. Does that qualify me as a charter member? Dan is second from the left. I would've voted for him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by eprnjp View Post
    runsub5, I drove for Dan and All American Racers in the 80's. Does that qualify me as a charter member? Dan is second from the left. I would've voted for him.
    Wow! You driving for Dan Gurney makes you Vice President!! I would say that's a greater honor than being a Charter Member. I joined in 1967 when Dan was raising money for his F1 effort with the Eagle Weslake. I still have a patch and pin around somewhere I think. Man that was along time ago.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

It was a long time ago, feels like a lifetime ago. I remember spending time at the AAR shop in Orange County, Ca. I would check out the engine dyno, chassis fabrication, wind tunnel, etc. One time I went with Dan up to the mezzanine storage area. There were Gurney Weslake engine and body parts everywhere. I asked Dan about them and he said he should put them all in a dumpster. I hope he didn't. I should've grabbed a Gurney Weslake valve cover, they looked so cool. I'm not 100% sure but I think the 85 Eagle in the pic above was the last model Eagle to race at Indy. Tom Sneva and I raced at Indy for Dan that year.

This is a little bit like when the fighter jockey asks the air controller to verify his air speed to have a little fun with the commercial pilot who had just asked for the same. Then an SR-71 pilot comes on asking for HIS air speed! Followed by... radio silence.

eprnjp: you clearly played with the best toys!

Witnessed AAR's Toyota win at Sebring in '92... afterwards Fangio II and Wallace gathered with the crew for a celebration that included a sheet-pan cake. My buddy and our wives were camped in an RV less than 100 feet away from them in the paddock. An hour after the race had ended we walked over to watch their celebration and were welcomed into the tent for cake and punch. The rest of the paddock was nearly empty after the race. I asked Dan how it felt to finally win Sebring. He just beamed. I did not ask for an autograph.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

This was just posted on Racer.com "Robin Miller's Mailbag". Of course it's Dan Gurney related, and it also shows us Miller's wonderful lack of ego problems.

"Q: I was very surprised at your response to the question, ‘Who was the best all-time technically/mechanically savvy driver?’ Why did you choose to leave Dan Gurney off your list of A.J., Mario and Uncle Bobby from the glory days?

Michael Aldea, Hawthorne, NJ

RM: Because sometimes I am a moron. OK, the question was about the best IndyCar drivers and I always consider Gurney as F1/IndyCar/Trans Am/Can-Am, but obviously he left his mark at Indianapolis and was one of the sharpest chassis men ever. Good call though, The Big Eagle should have been at the top."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmdim_0hFIc

I found Gurney eagle valve covers (re pops) for my mustang project. That’s as close as I come to a Dan Gurney story.

Forgot I had this... Gurney related ephemera. It's still full, complete with owners manual.

20201202_135238 (2).jpg
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT