Thread: Vent window conversion

Vent window conversion

I have a pair of window frames with the vent windows that pivot and want to install these in my 71E coupe. Anyone have any suggestions or have done this in the past. There seems to be just enough variation in the door to prevent the pivot from going in all the way. Just like the early vent windows. A picture of the top of a pre 69 door would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Rusty

What year are the window frames?

Jim, not sure how early, but believe fairly early. Removable piece on the rear of the frame and a little uptick at lower inside of the chrome where it meets the door.

I am interested in this thread. I want to do the same thing, (add 1/4 window/vents to my 71 coupe)(where I live can exceed 100F some days)
    I have heard you can use targa wind-wings...I would probably try to find targa frames from 1971 to 1975. (in silver aluminum)
    I guess the reason I haven't done it to date...was considering the leaking, wind noise and security.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

I believe I have a set of targa drones from my long gone crushed 72 S. Will give it a try and get back to the post with what I run into.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Jim, not sure how early, but believe fairly early. Removable piece on the rear of the frame and a little uptick at lower inside of the chrome where it meets the door.
    Those are pretty rare. You may want to try and sell them and buy a pair of 68 Aluminum frames complete with vent wings. The ones you have will work, though.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Scott A View Post
    I am interested in this thread. I want to do the same thing, (add 1/4 window/vents to my 71 coupe)(where I live can exceed 100F some days)
    I have heard you can use targa wind-wings...I would probably try to find targa frames from 1971 to 1975. (in silver aluminum)
    I guess the reason I haven't done it to date...was considering the leaking, wind noise and security.
    Scott

Targa frames are all brass, no matter what color or vent configuration. I've never seen a Targa vent in a coupe but can only think it would lead to a multitude of issures, some of which, you have mentioned.

Regards

Jim

Targa vent might work for a cab replacement but not coupe. It looks like I’ve got a very early set and will follow Jim’s suggestion of selling the early frames and look for a set of 68 frames. I’m also considering using the Levan vent windows and set up with an air craft type vent .
    Or if I had half a brain left I’d just leave it alone.
    Cheers to all the Porsche nuts out there.