Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: “R" style steering wheel complete with horn button

WTB: “R" style steering wheel complete with horn button

Looking for a nice original or quality reproduction of the "R" steering wheel.
    PM's and email ok.....
    thanks,
    Frank

Hi Frank,
    I don't know the budget, but there is a huge difference.
    An original 'R' wheel is very hard to find, and if available, VERY expensive.

Try Jeffrey at Classicowheels for a nice reproduction wheel, he might still have some in stock, complete with horn button and hub.
    - twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car

Still looking for a "R" Steering Wheel. Must be one out there....

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I doubt it. Original Monza Wheels were very fragile, usually cracked or repaired. Horn was on the dash. Buy a nice replica, you will be better off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The copies that were made years ago were nicely conceived but sadly the end result was not great: anodizing doesn't look right, incorrect leather... etc.

I have heard that very accurate copies were made in the last several years specifically for original 911 Rs... I wish I knew who did them.
    I haven't seen one but I'm told they are almost indistinguishable from an original. Also, the cost was way beyond what most would be willing to pay.

I'm sorry this doesn't help in your quest but the info I think is interesting enough to note.

Another thing to consider: the Tour de France winning R owned by Revs Institute, formerly the Collier Collection is fitted with a wooden rimmed VDM wheel... AND I believe there's a Porsche-produced period brochure/catalog on the 911R that shows it fitted with a 360mm diameter, first-generation, flat-spoked prototipo... so if you were able to source either of those you wouldn't be incorrect.
    Last edited by Mark Morrissey; 04-19-2021 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    The copies that were made years ago were nicely conceived but sadly the end result was not great: anodizing doesn't look right, incorrect leather... etc.

I have heard that very accurate copies were made in the last several years specifically for original 911 Rs... I wish I knew who did them.
    I haven't seen one but I'm told they are almost indistinguishable from an original. Also, the cost was way beyond what most would be willing to pay.

I'm sorry this doesn't help in your quest but the info I think is interesting enough to note.

Another thing to consider: the Tour de France winning R owned by Revs Institute, formerly the Collier Collection is fitted with a wooden rimmed VDM wheel... AND I believe there's a Porsche-produced period brochure/catalog on the 911R that shows it fitted with a 360mm diameter, first-generation, flat-spoked prototipo... so if you were able to source either of those you wouldn't be incorrect.
    So.. not being a wheel guy. Is this the "bad" one.. or the "good one"?

https://www.karmannkonnection.com/sh...le-momo-monza/

was 1 for sale on Alfabb 'stacked flat silver 3 hole Monza' but on close inspection it shows stress cracks as mentioned earlier in your thread. at WOW $2500usd
    link
    https://www.alfabb.com/threads/momo-...-wheel.688446/

but as Mark mentioned, the original drivers of these cars had 'personal' preferences with their wheels and perhaps even seats.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    So.. not being a wheel guy. Is this the "bad" one.. or the "good one"?

https://www.karmannkonnection.com/sh...le-momo-monza/
    I hesitate to call it bad... I think it's bad but it's only my opinion. If you look at the detail shot you'll see very heavy grain in the anodization. The original wheels ano surface was fairly smooth.
    It's difficult to see the leather grain but it's probably not right either. Original R monza's leather had a relatively smooth surface with little to no discernible grain.

But the biggest thing that bugs me about the repo R wheels is the bottom leather seam. The original wheel's seam was expertly skived... meaning each end was shaved to flat so that when the two came together, there was no bump. Often the seam would be almost invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Morrissey View Post
    I hesitate to call it bad... I think it's bad but it's only my opinion. If you look at the detail shot you'll see very heavy grain in the anodization. The original wheels ano surface was fairly smooth.
    It's difficult to see the leather grain but it's probably not right either. Original R monza's leather had a relatively smooth surface with little to no discernible grain.

But the biggest thing that bugs me about the repo R wheels is the bottom leather seam. The original wheel's seam was expertly skived... meaning each end was shaved to flat so that when the two came together, there was no bump. Often the seam would be almost invisible.
    Thank you. I happened to acquire one of the Classico wheels years ago in a box with a few other wheels. I just opened up that box last week while going through some stuff I was moving and re-acquainted myself with those parts. Only today did I learn what the wheel was based on this thread (timely!)

Thanks for addressing the differences, I particularly note the seam. I was looking for it in the pic that Gordon posted of his original wheel, but I couldn't see it. Now I know why. Thanks for the education! Given the skiving on the leather by the spokes it would appear they had the skills to get close to the original seam type, but didn't do it probably due to cost (time).

E

Always thought these to be good value
    https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/911st-steering-wheel/

Not the right spoke, I understand.