Thread: The X on caliper; Group 6/98/00

The X on caliper; Group 6/98/00

According to the workshop manual, the X mark on the light-alloy S caliper was introduced in 1970 and these calipers have greater piston clearance (tolerances I think), so I'm wondering whether the bore in the X caliper body is slightly larger or the piston itself is slightly smaller in diameter?

Second paragraph in the appendix - I think there's a typo because there were some '69 and '70 calipers with the circle indents but without the X stamp, so I think that's what it was referring to, do you agree?

Name:  caliper.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  59.7 KB

The photo below shows the new groove at the top of the piston. Why did Porsche/ATE make that modification? What was the reason?

Name:  groove.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  219.7 KB

Lastly, when looking for caliper seals and gaskets on the PET, it asks you to see Group 6/98/00, but where do I find it?

Thanks.
    Last edited by blue72s; 11-13-2020 at 05:22 AM.

The replacement parts are in the repair section. So Group 6 is the brake system, and the repair section is always at the end. Repair parts will generally have a 98 code, so part # would be 901 698 xxx xx

It would appear that the piston diameter may have decreased a few hundredths of a mm on the X (grooved) pistons.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Call Eric at PMB, I am sure he can answer the question as well as send you the correct seal kit.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    The replacement parts are in the repair section. So Group 6 is the brake system, and the repair section is always at the end. Repair parts will generally have a 98 code, so part # would be 901 698 xxx xx
    I've just taken a look at my factory workshop manual (service), Volume V, from model on 72, Group 6, but there's no mention about the seals or part numbers or am I missing something? I can't find the repair section.

Is the repair manual different to the service manual?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    Call Eric at PMB, I am sure he can answer the question as well as send you the correct seal kit.
    Thanks but I just want to fully understand the differences between the early and late S calipers.

The repair parts are in the Parts Manual; how to repair things is in the Service Manual. Just download the parts manual for your car; you need to use the two together.

Quote Originally Posted by davep View Post
    Just download the parts manual
    This is what I was trying to talk about..

Name:  Capture2.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  65.8 KB

On the left side you have Main Group 6, and below that is 601-00 602-00 602-00 604-00 then 698-00

OK got it. Thanks.

So, the seals for the newer piston (X marked caliper) have the same part number as the earlier version, even though the pistons themselves are not interchangeable? Strange.

Doesn't anybody know what was the groove at the top of the newer piston for?
    Last edited by blue72s; 11-14-2020 at 10:51 AM.

There was absolutely no need to change the seals. The groove was only there to identify the piston as the new type.