Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Bling

Battery Bling

Sonnenschein batteries are pretty easily found in Canada these days and reasonably priced since we don't seem to have the trade wars with the EU some other places do. Priced at C$171 (~US$132) each. These German batteries seem very popular in UPSs and alarm systems here in Canada. We have 2 others in the house, in our alarm backup and the sump pump UPS.

The new A512/40 batteries for our cars are black instead of the traditional Sonnenschein grey. Mine had a date stamp of 2320, so I assume the 23rd week of this year. They also have the two holes over the positive connector for the plastic shields to be installed properly as per Porsche. It was part of a fresh shipment that got held up in the Port of Montreal for 6 weeks due to a dock workers strike. Yeah, it's not all rainbows and unicorns up here in the great white north!

The batteries dress up nicely with either the labels from isaydingdong in the UK or the embossed American made plastic badges available in a few places on the interweb. Neither are completely correct. The UK vinyl stickers have the wrong amperage and Ah and the American ones have no electrical parameters, though if I can find 7 mm yellow vinyl letters on eBay I can fix that. I like the embossed ones. Adds a degree of dimensionality to the batteries. Will be replacing my Odyssey PC925s with these over the weekend along with putting in the proper ceramic fuses and fusebox labels in the car.

Name:  IMG_1663.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  113.1 KBName:  IMG_1664.jpg
Views: 1297
Size:  76.8 KBName:  IMG_1696.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  80.7 KB
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Nice! I am waiting on a pair of those. do they fit so that its got plenty clearance with the top of the battery box? I have the Miata AGMs and I don't like the tight vertical fit and need for spacers behind it - looks sloppy and dangerous to boot even with protection on + terminal.
    Member #3896
    1973.5 911 T
    1974 911
    1974 CB750K

Those batteries are perfect fit ; I replaced decals with Moll !
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666

I went with a vintage Deta decal on my Sonnenscheins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Do you have to add the + and - posts? My search results show grey battery with no posts.
    Any one know a good source for these in the U S.
    These look like the best dual battery solution we have had for a long time. Thanks for the thread. Rob

You can buy them with the standard automotive posts from Lauderdale Battery in Fort Lauderdale Florida
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

I've been running these for many years in all my early cars and have been very pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by RS-GT View Post
    Those batteries are perfect fit ; I replaced decals with Moll !
    Hi, did you find out where you got the Moll decals from?

Thanks
    Gitesh

Quote Originally Posted by 30westrob View Post
    Do you have to add the + and - posts? My search results show grey battery with no posts.
    Any one know a good source for these in the U S.
    These look like the best dual battery solution we have had for a long time. Thanks for the thread. Rob
    Came with the posts. The model number is A512/40A. The part number is NGA5120040HS0CA. Most people think the 40A stands for amps. It stands for A-terminal (the kind we need). The other type of post is a G-M6 post. The nearest to me Canadian source is https://www.advancedbattery.ca/produ...enschein-a500/
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I got the Moll decals from "mfitton", here on the forum. He's in Chicago area.

Regards
    JD
    1970S Coupe, Blood orange #1436
    1965 Coupe, Dolphin gray #1506

R Gruppe #647 ; S Registry #1666