Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 911 mj 67: Lobro or Nadella axles?

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    At the 50th Parade, I talked to Chuck Stoddard about his 67S with LSD. He said Porsche sent him Lobro axles, trans drive flanges and stub axles as an update for his S. Jon? Was there a service bulletin or warranty or recall regarding the Nedella axles? Or was it just for Chuck? G
    I'm pretty sure they sent him (2) intermediate flanges, (2) Lobro axles, and (2) stub axles. As best as I can tell (after A LOT of research) this is the factory solution for converting a ZF LSD equipped 901 transmission to lobro axles. I've been on a quest to change out the Nadellas on my 67 TA car for a couple of years now. I wanted to do it with factory parts to keep my car correct and the quest had me talking to many many people around the world and (sadly) spending many many dollars on parts I thought were factory correct but weren't.

It wasn't until I found a parts diagram on Design911 that I finally realized the factory correct way to do the axle swap. That diagram (below in smaller detail but found here... https://www.design911.com/pages/diag...diagramID=1809 ) led to a search and low and behold the factory still had some of the specified intermediate flanges in stock. I'm going to post up another thread with more information about the conversion but thought this was an opportune moment to introduce some information I would've thought was common knowledge...but wasn't.

Part number 911.332.943.00 - INTERMEDIATE FLANGE is the key ingredient that leaves intact the Nadella output flange for the ZF LSD and allows a Lobro axle to be bolted right up. No muss or fuss. On test fitting, this factory part fits perfectly in between the 4 bolt nadella output flange and the 6 bolt CV of the lobro. It has a super close tolerance lock and key fit and the total width when assembled onto the Nadella output flange appears to be exactly the same as for a regular non-LSD lobro output flange. The axle won't notice any difference as best as I can tell.

Cool stuff...and seems to fit exactly with what Chuck Stoddard represented in the quote above.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by jimhuiz; 11-20-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    These were on one of our projects, assume they were home made. They are different but same idea. G
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I talked with Kevin Jeanette about these because he used them in the past for 906s that needed to run lobro axles due to a lack of availability of good Nadellas and difficulty with rebuilding them. He said he remembers taking one off of a car one day looked at it and said "looks good to me" and he gave it to one of his crew to have several sets made up. Most people i've seen do them in steel but it looks like the factory used aluminum with helicoil inserts.

I think most people thought these were home made solutions but the factory part has been there all along...

I converted my early 911 in 69 and bought the kit from the dealer. Not sure I ever saw a bulletin on the update. Up until that time I used a hypodermic needle to try to keep them from knocking. They were a pain.