Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires

Unfortunately, the Yoko A-048 has been discontinued in 205/60.

I ran this size years ago, and really liked it as a sort of "maximum tire" within a narrow-body Porsche without having to modify any bodywork. Maybe a rolled fender lip, in some cases, and a bit of careful spacing in others.

Pickings are slim, but I've heard good things about the BFGoodrich Radial T/A from two trusted sources.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...L2V3&tab=Sizes

I was initially interested in them after seeing a set (with black letters facing out) on an early 911 in Carmel during car week. The sidewall looked sufficiently simple and the tread pattern sufficiently vintage/period that I started to look at them a bit differently than as a Pontiac Trans-Am tire…and I wondered about the performance. I suspect their compound has been improved over the years, and literally any modern tire is likely better than what our cars were equipped with in the 1960s and 1970s. Now add 20-40mm of width at all four corners. Even so, I stuck with Avons last time around—and like them though they are a bit narrow looking to these eyes at 185/70.

My mechanic decided to give the Radial T/As a shot on his 912 hot rod and loves them. And he knows how to shoe a car down a back road. So they might be worth a try, and they cost a lot less than the others out there.

Another I'd look at if you like the 205/60R15 look is a 195/65R15 Pirelli P6000—tire sizes don't mean much across manufacturers, as they can vary quite a bit from one manufacturer to another in terms of actual dimensions. I've seen it many times.

I would like to hear any other reviews on the Vulcantire.....they appear to have a fairly aggressive tread design and the sizing is right....I am just not familiar with that manufacturer

I apologize....meant the Vredestein Sporttrac's in the link above...Thx...DM

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    I apologize....meant the Vredestein Sporttrac's in the link above...Thx...DM
    I've been really impressed with them. I read some reviews here of a few folks who had even done some track days on them and were really happy.

For autox I've run a lot of different sticky 205/50's, so I know what a real track tire feels like. These are not track tires, but they are surprisingly grippy for a pure street tire. Summer only and 300 treadwear, so no real surprise there, but I did a mild mannered track event a few months ago and they held up great. They don't howl like an all season street tire does when you push it, nice mild scrubbing at the limit.

Now the sidewalls... not vintage in the slightest, but I got used to it.
    Last edited by Bill Meyer; 11-24-2020 at 06:04 AM.

I bought the last 7 205/60/15 Firestone Precision Sports I could find. I like the tread pattern on my 67. Unfortunately the custom 6X15 steel wheels I made up with 205's are a bit too outboard for my liking. I'll probably go to 195's. I'm a fan of Firestone. The indy 500 16's on my car are actually sold as Bridgestone's in Europe. They supported Porsche well in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.
    Attached Images Attached Images         
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Category Ratings Charts
    Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 (H- or V-Speed Rated)
    Compare
    (248)
    | Reviews (225)
    Best Seller
    Consumer Recommended
    Tire Rack Tested
    SUMITOMO
    HTR A/S P02 (H- OR V-SPEED RATED)
    High Performance All-Season
    Size: 205/60R15 91H
    Style: Blackwall
    Serv. Desc: 91H
    UTQG: 600 A A
    Qty:
    Per Tire:

$70.99
    Availability: In Stock
    How soon can I get this?
    Free Shipping
    Set of 4: $283.96
    Free Road Hazard Protection
    ($27.52 value. Two-year coverage.)Add to Cart
    As low as $26/mo with Affi
    Best bang for the buck in my opinion
    Tire rack

Settled on 205-60’s
    Name:  292687F6-8FB9-4F99-B7F4-1D330D7509CE.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  69.6 KB

Bob,
    What is the tire manufacturer of those?
    69 Bahama T
    S Reg# 2753

Quote Originally Posted by stout View Post
    Unfortunately, the Yoko A-048 has been discontinued in 205/60.

I ran this size years ago, and really liked it as a sort of "maximum tire" within a narrow-body Porsche without having to modify any bodywork. Maybe a rolled fender lip, in some cases, and a bit of careful spacing in others.

Pickings are slim, but I've heard good things about the BFGoodrich Radial T/A from two trusted sources.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...L2V3&tab=Sizes

I was initially interested in them after seeing a set (with black letters facing out) on an early 911 in Carmel during car week. The sidewall looked sufficiently simple and the tread pattern sufficiently vintage/period that I started to look at them a bit differently than as a Pontiac Trans-Am tire…and I wondered about the performance. I suspect their compound has been improved over the years, and literally any modern tire is likely better than what our cars were equipped with in the 1960s and 1970s. Now add 20-40mm of width at all four corners. Even so, I stuck with Avons last time around—and like them though they are a bit narrow looking to these eyes at 185/70.

My mechanic decided to give the Radial T/As a shot on his 912 hot rod and loves them. And he knows how to shoe a car down a back road. So they might be worth a try, and they cost a lot less than the others out there.

Another I'd look at if you like the 205/60R15 look is a 195/65R15 Pirelli P6000—tire sizes don't mean much across manufacturers, as they can vary quite a bit from one manufacturer to another in terms of actual dimensions. I've seen it many times.
    Pete and all - any update on experience with the BFGoodrich Radial T/A? Like many, I'm in an endless search for tires for 15X9" wheels with decent looks and decent performance and a height in the 25" to 26" range - unlike the many offerings with only a 23" to 24" height. On my hotrod with 15" X 8" & 9" Fuchs I am using Toyo R888R 225/50/15 and 235/50/15 tires. Great performance, OK looks, but only around 24" diameter. Now I am contemplating BFGoodrich Radial T/A in 215/60/15 and 235/60/15 (not an ideal combo but what's available that's not TOO tall).

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by smclaughlin View Post
    Pete and all - any update on experience with the BFGoodrich Radial T/A? Like many, I'm in an endless search for tires for 15X9" wheels with decent looks and decent performance and a height in the 25" to 26" range - unlike the many offerings with only a 23" to 24" height. On my hotrod with 15" X 8" & 9" Fuchs I am using Toyo R888R 225/50/15 and 235/50/15 tires. Great performance, OK looks, but only around 24" diameter. Now I am contemplating BFGoodrich Radial T/A in 215/60/15 and 235/60/15 (not an ideal combo but what's available that's not TOO tall).

Thanks in advance,

Scott
    Hey Scott—I'd give John Holleran at Holleran Performance a call, as he's been running a set of 215/60R15 Radial T/As on his hot-rod 912 and knows how to run back roads in these cars. As I recall it, he was very impressed with the BFGs…which seems to confirm my gut sense that Michelin modernized them a few years ago—when they jumped from super cheap to merely inexpensive next to Avon CR6ZZ, Coker XWX, and Pirelli CN36.

Been mulling a set of Radial T/As with the white letters turned in, but remain a fan of Avons. With that said, a set of 205/60s sure would be cheaper than the work involved to sneak 215/60s into the back of my narrow car.
    Last edited by stout; 09-12-2021 at 01:46 PM.