Thread: How to fix a hand throttle!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to fix a hand throttle!

As you can see in my other post, I had to learn about a little hitch, but now that it is solved, I'd like to share / document what I did to fix the hand throttle.

Start by removing the seats - I know, a pain...but it is a bigger pain trying to work around them.

Once removed, you need to vacuum anyway. Right?

Then, undo the three 13mm bolts holding the ebrake assembly in place and then take a couple of spanners and remove the 13mm nuts holding the ebrake assembly shaft in place:

Name:  hthrottle1.jpg
Views: 2467
Size:  100.5 KB

One those are out of the way, you can lift the assembly up high enough to get a needle nose plier (from the driver side) in there to remove the c-clip and push the pin out towards the passenger side.

Name:  hthrottle2.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  111.2 KB

Carefully remove each of the washers and the hand throttle lever. The heater lever will remain in place. Here is a diagram for reference:

Name:  hthrottle21.jpg
Views: 2191
Size:  45.4 KB

Then remove the shaft and polish it up on the wire wheel bench grinder:

Name:  hthrottle3.jpg
Views: 2154
Size:  65.8 KB

It should clean up nicely:

Name:  hthrottle4.jpg
Views: 2138
Size:  70.6 KB

My hardware was pretty chewed up, so some new cad will go in:

Name:  hthrottle5.jpg
Views: 2102
Size:  109.5 KB

Usually the (hard rubber) hand throttle arm that pushes on the throttle cable is dried out and broken or gone completely. Mine was gone along with the washer and c-clip (I ordered two of each in the event one finds it way into a dark crack!). Here are the parts and their associated numbers:

Name:  hthrottle6.jpg
Views: 2106
Size:  130.2 KB

And back:

Name:  hthrottle7.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  85.3 KB

I also swear by this stuff because it is food grade, dielectric and will not eat at rubber and plastics. Perfect for ensuring not only the shaft we cleaned up will remain rust free and pivot nicely, but also our new arm.

Name:  hthrottle8.jpg
Views: 2067
Size:  73.2 KB

Next is the "barrel" for a lack of a better term, this is what the throttle arm pushes against, thus depressing the throttle. Mine was in the wrong spot, and the user manual states that you can adjust through the little window. Right.

This entire process (if you are not already pissed from needing needle fingers to do this) is a bit of a pain.

Anyway - there is a small flat head set screw that you'll need to back out a little bit:

Name:  hthrottle9.jpg
Views: 2113
Size:  71.0 KB

Here is the "barrel" that you need to remove and inspect.

Name:  hthrottle10.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  97.3 KB

Next is the ebrake connections - which if you are not careful you can push them back out of their tubes under the car. I learned this the hard way - and you will too, if you go to reinstall the ebrake handle assembly, the ebrake cables will be VERY tight.

look under the car at these connections:

Name:  hthrottle13.jpg
Views: 2037
Size:  60.8 KB

Here, you can see the ebrake cables pushed back, they should be forward so it aligns with the handle:

Name:  hthrottle12.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  89.5 KB

Now, install the hand throttle lever back onto its post, slide the new rubberized arm over the lower pin, and secure with washer first, then c-clip:

Name:  hthrottle14.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  102.3 KB

Installed:

Name:  hthrottle15.jpg
Views: 2318
Size:  106.6 KB

Now, setting the assembly in place, it should (with ease) line up with the 13mm bolt holes:

Name:  hthrottl16.jpg
Views: 2062
Size:  147.8 KB

Adjust the barrel and secure the set screw - you can see the new rubberized arm will be just behind the barrel:

Name:  hthrottle17.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  52.2 KB

Re-install the 13mm bolts holding the assembly down.

Then, actuate the FOOT throttle with your hand, and use the new hand throttle for the first time! Yes! It works.

Then, button it all up!

(I have a hard time fitting the rubber boot under the carpet - it won't fit, so I have it on top.

Name:  hthrottle18.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  182.2 KB

Reinstall the boot, seats....and happy hand throttling. NICE as the weather cools off!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The clevis pin in last picture is not fully installed, it should be flush with the top of the yoke.

Excellent catch, I was able to get it to fully seat.

Thank you!!
    Last edited by dmaddox; 11-14-2020 at 03:31 PM.

Nice instructions, but i hate to say that you need to go back in and replace the missing throttle rod plastic bushes
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Nice instructions, but i hate to say that you need to go back in and replace the missing throttle rod plastic bushes
    I’ve been in and out of there a few times now, and being new to Porsche (but not mechanics) I’m learning!!

This "how to" is for me, mostly, ha!

Thank you Ed. I did some research, and I think the bushes are part number 901 423 227 00. They are part number 13 in this diagram:

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 7.16.17 AM.png
Views: 1980
Size:  81.9 KB

And can be purchased for just shy of 15 dollars on the bird: https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...=0&SVSVSI=5853

Thank you for the continued support, to all of you, as I learn my way through this car.

All the best!
    Last edited by dmaddox; 11-16-2020 at 03:21 AM.