Thread: 1972 2.4 MFI ignition system specs and permatune

1972 2.4 MFI ignition system specs and permatune

Hi.

I am studying my ignition system on my 1972 911T MFI coupe.

I recently did a major ignition system go through on 3 different 1960's Mercedes SL's and was spoiled by the Mercedes SL 113 Registry's technical manual that they have on their site.
    It's wonderful. So much information for my SL's
    see:

https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Main/HomePage
    https://www.sl113.org/wiki/Electrical/IgnitionSystem

Maybe we have such information on our car's here. A master library if you will.

My 1972 911T currently has a 3 wire permatune ignition box and blue coil.

I do not know the OHM specs the permatune system vs the original Bosch ignition box 901 602 702 00

I know the original coils were black 901 602 502 00
    If I were to buy a new coil I believe it would transpose into Bosch# 0221 121 001
    see:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ignitio...cAAOSweTlbvHrD

I am also interested to know the spark plug wire composition, the spec if you will.

Does anyone have a link for such information that may very exist here on early911S registry.

I'm looking as I write this to see what I can find.

My ignition system is fine right now but I am so impressed with the 123 distributor that I put in one of my SL's that I am going to put one in the 72 and see how much it changes.
    I believe I can run the Permatune but wonder on my blue coil which has no number.

Was the blue coil put in to coincide with the permatune?

Trying to stimulate info that will help us all here.

Many thanks

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

The blue coil is really a VW coil or a generic replacement coil , not correct for a Perma-tune or the Bosch CD unit . Do a search on this site .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    The blue coil is really a VW coil or a generic replacement coil , not correct for a Perma-tune or the Bosch CD unit . Do a search on this site .
    I just changed out the blue coil for the correct Bosch # 0221 121 001 and the car runs smoother than ever.

I am running a permatune CD box (that's how my car came) but I am going to buy a Bosch CD box from Bob Ashlock. He seems like the right guy to consult.
    In the meantime I just ordered a 2nd 123 distributor. This one will go in my 1963 220SEB coupe. The 123 system really works well.
    1969 911T Coupe Blood Orange (Vivy)

Bob is the Bosch CD unit guru !

You have a 'blue' permatune that Porsche even used as O.E. back in the eighties, notice the Porsche trademark triangle stamped on the cover. The Permatune units were very good back then, that is why Porsche used them as factory fitments for a while. That's why the correct coil improved things.

And Bob is 'da man'
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.